Guitar tuners

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone know if they make a small guitar tuner with a bypass on it that allows you to tune on the fly?? I know alot of the guitar effect board have a built in tuner w/ bypass that you can run through....but I don't really want to by a guitar board. I would just like to be able to tune quicker without having to unplug from my amp and plug into a tuner....something I can just click on and off. Any suggestions?
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/gtrstuff/tuners.php

I'd probably go with a Korg rack tuner unless you can find a good used peterson. If you're looking for a pedal people here use the pedal tuner from Boss that doubles as a power supply
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Do you know what this "pedal tuner" from boss is called and how much it costs. I'd rather not go with a rack...I want something that is footswitchable.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by nailz100
    Anyone know if they make a small guitar tuner with a bypass on it that allows you to tune on the fly?? I know alot of the guitar effect board have a built in tuner w/ bypass that you can run through....but I don't really want to by a guitar board. I would just like to be able to tune quicker without having to unplug from my amp and plug into a tuner....something I can just click on and off. Any suggestions?

The boss TU2 works as well. I have a couple and prefer the TU2, its what you are looking for and has been very reliable.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    Do you know what this "pedal tuner" from boss is called and how much it costs. I'd rather not go with a rack...I want something that is footswitchable.

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/bosstuner.php
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    So which one do you think is better guys....the Boss TU2 or the Korg DT-10? So both of these tuners basically you step on to bypass your amp and then step on again to turn them off...you don't need any extra components or anything? Can you easily see the notes when you are standing up? Is it easy to tune to flat and sharp notes?
    So which one do you think is better guys....the Boss TU2 or the Korg DT-10? So both of these tuners basically you step on to bypass your amp and then step on again to turn them off...you don't need any extra components or anything? Can you easily see the notes when you are standing up? Is it easy to tune to flat and sharp notes?

the TU-2. Easy to see in the dark and you can use it to power other pedals.
    So you basically plug a 1/4" jack into your amp and into the output on the TU2 and then plug a 1/4" from your guitar into the input on TU2? So when it is off you are getting direct sound from your amp and to click the tuner on you just step on it, tune, and step on it again for direct sound? Does it run on a nine volt?...or powered...or both?
  • I like the boss one. It has a bypass, and power supply.

The problem I always used to have though, if we played outdoors in the daytime at a festival or whatever, I could never read the led lights in the sunlight. That's one thing to consider.

At night it's really easy to read and it can be chromatic if you want it to. Runs on 9 volt or 120 volt and can power a couple of pedals

For day I used a separate one with a needle on it so I could see it, and bypassed it.

Hmm, ,,,, now you need TWO tuners!:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    So you basically plug a 1/4" jack into your amp and into the output on the TU2 and then plug a 1/4" from your guitar into the input on TU2? So when it is off you are getting direct sound from your amp and to click the tuner on you just step on it, tune, and step on it again for direct sound? Does it run on a nine volt?...or powered...or both?

std, boss effect pedal without the effect. Step on it. On Step on it Off. FET switching.

Boss style power jack. also runs on 9V. 1/4 inch input 1/4 inch output.

mute/bypass select for silent tuning option
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The TU-2 has two outputs, a bypass and a mute. With the bypass, the signal passes directly through. With the mute, the tuner will mute the signal when the tuner is on, so you can tune without being heard. It's powered by a 9volt battery, and uses the standard Boss AC adapter. You can also purchase a daisy-chain cable for about $20 and use the TU-2 to power up a handful of pedals with the same Boss type AC plug.

Fender makes a cheapie tuner pedal for about $40 (look on http://www.musiciansfriend.com) that I believe has the same output choices (mute or bypass).

I personally use a Korg chromatic tuner (handheld model, not rackmount or foot pedal) that I run off the tuner output of my Ernie Ball volume pedal. But I had that just lying around, so it was cheaper than buying a new pedal. I would probably just get the Fender version, the only real advantage of the Boss TU-2 is as a power supply to the rest of your pedals.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    The TU-2 has two outputs, a bypass and a mute. With the bypass, the signal passes directly through. With the mute, the tuner will mute the signal when the tuner is on, so you can tune without being heard. It's powered by a 9volt battery, and uses the standard Boss AC adapter. You can also purchase a daisy-chain cable for about $20 and use the TU-2 to power up a handful of pedals with the same Boss type AC plug.

Fender makes a cheapie tuner pedal for about $40 (look on http://www.musiciansfriend.com) that I believe has the same output choices (mute or bypass).

I personally use a Korg chromatic tuner (handheld model, not rackmount or foot pedal) that I run off the tuner output of my Ernie Ball volume pedal. But I had that just lying around, so it was cheaper than buying a new pedal. I would probably just get the Fender version, the only real advantage of the Boss TU-2 is as a power supply to the rest of your pedals.

Man,,, you guys write such great reviews!

I just go,,,like uhhhhh

"I like the boss tuner, it's good":)
    Be kind, man

I just go,,,like uhhhhh

"I like the boss tuner, it's good":)

I buy a lot of stuff based on other people's reviews, so I try to be thorough...

http://www.harmony-central.com has the best web-based reviews...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boss/TU_2_Stage_Tuner-01.html
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I buy a lot of stuff based on other people's reviews, so I try to be thorough...

http://www.harmony-central.com has the best web-based reviews.

Yup....best site for that stuff

See my Shannon overdrive review? (1rst one)
    I was barely coerced or ANYTHING!:D
    Be kind, man

No Shit?

I have exactly the same Korg Chromatic Tuner.
    I am a frontman, so the only thing I am going to be using the guitar tuner for is tuning. I just run a marshall footswitch through a 2-12 valvestate combo. So you thing the Fender footswitch is the way to go MIG?? Pretty much all I'll need is two 1/4" cables hey?
  • Fender pt10

Easy to use, and you can mute it! About 45 bucks is the one you want.

Oh,,, MIG question,,, sorry:)
    Be kind, man
  • Originally posted by nailz100
    So, whats the difference between the Boss and the Fender...besides the fender being able to run multiple pedals?

40 dollars!:D

I don't know if there is any signal loss through the Fender, though.
    The boss sounds great, and I can't tell the difference when I'm plugged through it, or not.

The Boss runs multiple pedals, the Fender I think only just passes through.

Like I said, though, if you do outdoor day gigs a lot, make sure you can read it. Otherwise they probably both will suit you. The boss is about 90 bucks now, I think, the Fender about 45 bucks.
    Be kind, man

*profane muttering*

I just typed out a pretty long reply to this thread, and then clicked "Submit" and the damn page lost my cookie, asked me to sign in again. So I lost the reply I'd typed out. I even tried to go "Back", but it wouldn't let me. Fucking cookies...

*more profane muttering*

Okay.

The only real difference between the Fender and the Boss is the ability to use the Boss as a power supply for additional pedals. Considering the price, it's a great option for people with multiple pedals (and a loathing for 9-volt batteries) but for you, running:

Guitar -> Tuner -> Amp

You don't need the premium feature there. The Boss does have a better reputation, and probably is a better pedal, but for a price. The Fender sells for $40 on Musician's Friend, the Boss sells for $80, and the primo option, the Korg DT-10, sells for $90. The Korg is probably the best footpedal tuner available... fully chromatic, huge read-out display, fully adjustable... great for alternate tunings and tuning to match something that isn't tuned to A=440 Hz. Like older keyboards, etc.

With the Boss, you'd spend another $19 on the AC adapter and $12 for the daisy-chain, bringing the grand total to $112 for the Boss with all the goodies. All these pedals would add $6-10 for shipping from Musician's Friend... who knows what a local dealer would charge.

Here's a review of the Fender tuner:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Fender/PT_10_Pedal_Tuner_-01.html

Here's a review of the Korg tuner:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Korg/DT_10-01.html

Now, the only complaint I've heard about ANY of these three pedals is that the Fender doesn't work very well for bass. I have four friends who use the Boss TU-2, and they love it. All three pedals have both Mute and Bypass outputs, and all three should use the standard Boss-type AC adapter.

Paco- I use the Korg DT-3 digital chromatic tuner. It's great... does every note in the scale, including half-steps (flats/sharps) and is very accurate... works great for elec. guitar, acous. guitar, and bass. It runs off the tuner output of my volume pedal, so it's not in my signal chain, and I can tune silently, at full volume, or somewhere in between. That's one big advantage over the footpedals, where you have to choose full-volume tuning OR silent tuning, and nothing in between.

Last thing... all you need here are two cables. One from the Guitar into the Tuner, and one from the Tuner into the Amp. Now all you need to decide is whether you want full-volume tuning or silent tuning. Let us know what you get and how you like it!

*more profane muttering*

I still can't believe the damn thing lost my original reply... I'm gonna copy this real quick before replying this time...
  • I like the pedal tuner from boss for sure! Not just for the power supply, I also use it for a mute when switching guitars/ basses, makes things quiet.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Thats a good Idea "ATYD"...I switch out my guitars quite a bit, so I'll definately keep that in mind. I but a bid in on a Boss TU2 on E-bay....so *crossing fingers*, hopefully I'll get it. MIG, I know exactly what you mean. Anytime I type a long response I ALWAYS copy it using CTRL-C...Then when you hit reply you can just press back back and paste it in again. Do you know if KORG is made in the US?....it makes a difference when you ship stuff to Canada....i'm pretty sure all the boss is? Whats the difference between the bypass and the mute feature....if you are muting it to tune aren't you bypassing the sound anyway? Is the bypass tuning it at full volume and the muting tuning it silent? I already have an AC adaptor from an old Boss OD pedal, so I should be able to use that. I only need the daisy chain if I am using the tuner to power other foot pedals, right?....do you got a pic of what the daisy looks like...just curious?
    Thats a good Idea "ATYD"...I switch out my guitars quite a bit, so I'll definately keep that in mind. I but a bid in on a Boss TU2 on E-bay....so *crossing fingers*, hopefully I'll get it. MIG, I know exactly what you mean. Anytime I type a long response I ALWAYS copy it using CTRL-C...Then when you hit reply you can just press back back and paste it in again. Do you know if KORG is made in the US?....it makes a difference when you ship stuff to Canada....i'm pretty sure all the boss is? Whats the difference between the bypass and the mute feature....if you are muting it to tune aren't you bypassing the sound anyway? Is the bypass tuning it at full volume and the muting tuning it silent? I already have an AC adaptor from an old Boss OD pedal, so I should be able to use that. I only need the daisy chain if I am using the tuner to power other foot pedals, right?....do you got a pic of what the daisy looks like...just curious?

Like I said, all three pedals offer the ability to mute while tuning, which would allow you to mute while switching instruments as well.

Korg is an international business based in Japan... it's possible that some of their stuff is mfd in the States, but I can't guarantee it.

"Mute" output is where the tuner silences the guitar from the amp while you tune. "Bypass" is where signal just keeps going to the amp while you tune.

Some older Boss pedals used different voltages, so you'll want to make sure that it's not TOO old of an adapter to work. And you can just run the pedal with a battery or AC adapter, you'd only need the daisy-chain cable if you wanted to power up other stuff. I just mentioned it because it's the only big difference between the Boss and the others, so I put the accessories for it in the total. The TU-2 by itself is definitely a great pedal, even if you never use it as a power supply.

See if this works... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/g=guitar/search/bigpid/base_id/48288/

Or just go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com and search for: 151322.
    Oh, I see...its power to power connections, which would mean that there are 2 on the tuning pedal....cool. I'd be tuning in mute model because tuning loud on stage has always seemed really unprofessional to me. Thanks for all your help guys...especially MIG...I know Fuck all when it comes to pedals...and accesories. I'm currently winning one on E-bay that ends in 2 days, so hopefully I'll win it...I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again
  • Originally posted by nailz100

I also prefer the pedal, because its quick right in front of me at my feet. And you can see it if your playing outside. I know guys that had sight problems with rack mount tuners. Plus fyi if you have to you can talk in the mic and tune at the same time. Been there done that
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    I'm currently winning one on E-bay that ends in 2 days, so hopefully I'll win it...I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Be aware, if you aren't already, that eBay gear can double in price in the last 10 minutes.

I can't imagine you'll have many problems figuring any of the tuner pedals out, so once you have one in your hands, it should be easy. I personally tune silently at a gig, but I kinda like to hear it during practice, or at home, so MY rig is perfect for that. But silent tuning is a great feature, and makes you seem like a much more polished musician.

Have fun with whatever you get, and good luck on the auction.