Well guys, I did it...

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I quit my band. I was just getting so tired of all the bullshit and all the arguing ALL the time....the lack of enthusiasm from other members and inconsistency with performances and energy in our live shows. 3 Years down the drain, and I am saddened, but I am kind of happy at the same time because I don't have to try and "drive a dead horse" anymore. Literally, 2 of the guys have no full time jobs...but yet seem to have the least amount of time to put in...??? I got tired of all the excuses. Alot of my friends are amazed that I lasted this long with them....it was really hard for me to come to this decision as I liked the original songs, but on a personal level....thats another story.

I want to be excited about playing again....I want to love it again, I want to be passionate about it again. I was literally starting to almost hate certain members because of alot of little things and alot of big things that went on. The bass player is still going to play with me, and I already have another project with a guitar player (my best friend) and a drummer that he knows.
The three songs on my website (http://www.theretroman.com) I am taking with me because I wrote all or the majority of...and I feel are a huge piece of me and my life.

We are leaving (hopefully) on good terms...and we have shows until almost July which we will play out together....hopefully by then my new band will be in full swing.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents....and if you have any GOOD band name suggestions I would appreciate that as well. Thanks for listening.
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    I'm bummed for you...and also happy....it may be what you need to re-ignite your own passion....and it seems that way from what you wrote..

I'm in kinda the same position....I disbanded my band last year when I had to move from London (UK) due to the wife giving birth to our beautiful baby girl...the good thing with me is that I own all the material and was in many ways the total driving force of the band....I don't know what to do in terms of whether to try and set up a new band with me at the helm or join a band as a guitar player....or...I could find a female harmonist and do like a 'Simon and Garfunkel' acoustic type thing (The band was both heavy and acoustic)....the last option would probably be more well received as the acoustic stuff is easily the best material......I'm still undecided so at the moment I spend all my time deep within PJ boots......I get to play a different show with the boys every night....:D

Hope it works out for you.
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    best of luck with what ever develops from here. no sense continuing when you're unhappy for so long.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    That was kinda my idea. Isn't having fun really what its all about? I still need some band name suggestions though...
  • 39Reasons39Reasons Posts: 16
    I know exactly how you feel. You know you did the right thing. I have finally reached a place with my band where it's awesome! We still argue but for the love of the music not anything else and we never take anything personaly. It can get a little tense in that rehearsal room every so often but we are usually laughing with each other by the end of the night. I've been playing in bands professionaly since 1987 and I have just now finally gotten to a place musicaly that I feel comfortable with. Hang in there there are other musicians out there who feel exactley the same as you and who are as passionate as you about the music. It might take some time but keep plugging and dont ever stop no matter how old you get!
    Rawk On!
    Joe
    www.39reasons.com
    www.myspace.com/39reasons
    www.myspace.com/joebassman
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Thanks for the good advice Joe....I play to keep rockin. Cheers
  • The band i'm currently playing in is called Entropy. I was added in as another guitar player, so I had nothing to do with it. But, if I were making a new band I would call it Free Safety. Has meaning, but is a name most people are familiar with and could remember (at least american football fans). On the bright side, your band lasted three years more than any of mine have.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Cellar Door.

Donnie Darko fans would love the band.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Cellar Door. Neil fans would dig it too. I like it.