Amp Question

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
My guitar player recently traded in his line 6 2X12 combo for a Mesa nomad head and a separate 1X12 mesa cab with a black shadow. There is just one problem....the amp sounds fucking terrible in my opinion. Even his old line 6 sounded better in my opinion.

There are some guys that do mods to tube amps here that he took it to and they kinda tweaked it for him a bit....he can't stop talking about the sound. But I heard through the grapevine that the guy that modded it said that it was a very bad sounding amp...and that nothing he could do really improved it that much. Of course he never told my guitar player that (it would be like a guy at a car dealership telling you "this car is a piece of junk"). But I can't talk any sense into him...he's a fuckin sound engineer for christ's sake and he thinks it sounds good. And I can't exactly compare it to the bogner that I don't have yet either. Also we played a show where we had to play quiet, and when I told him it sounded bad he said "Tube amps don't sound good until they are turned up"....I find that hard to believe.

Any suggestions? I guess its just frustrating me because I have to sing over this amp...
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    has the speaker and the eq been examined yet? What exactly is bad about the sound? Tinny, Thin, boomy, what's the issue?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Honestly, I don't think the cab is the issue....I can't say for SURE but I'm 99 percent sure its the head.

The sound just doesn't carry and it sounds BAD (to me and a few other people I know)...the cleans are too thin, the dirty too muddy...I don't know...just bad. Even my old Marshall valvestate blows it out of the water...of course he'll never tell you that because he thinks it sounds good.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nailz100 wrote:
    Honestly, I don't think the cab is the issue....I can't say for SURE but I'm 99 percent sure its the head.

The sound just doesn't carry and it sounds BAD (to me and a few other people I know)...the cleans are too thin, the dirty too muddy...I don't know...just bad. Even my old Marshall valvestate blows it out of the water...of course he'll never tell you that because he thinks it sounds good.

The tubes could be bad, or he could have it on a mode that dosen't fit well with the band, it might be at half power, Mesa's often take quite a bit of tweaking. It sounds like it could do for a tube upgrade or a maximiser. I'm not a huge fan of the nomad series either but as many tweaks as mesa allows there should be some happy medium there. I haven't found a lot of them (Mesas) recently that I've fallen in love with either. What you should do is "borrow it" for a minute and play and fiddle until you can find a decent tone out of it if possible.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Yeah, Maybe I'll try that.....