Any of you guys into vintage sh*t

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I really really one day want to own an middle 60's fender blackface.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Nice Ex. Have you ever tried one of those before? I wonder how good of a distortion sound you can get out of it?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, i get pretty great sound out of mine so i can imagine that an original in proper tune would be even better.

it's just a good, solid, rock overdrive sound.
    I bet the clean just sparkles
    indeed it does. the hallmark of a good blackface.

but boost the lows and mids feeding into it and and the overdrive is so rich.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Nice Ex. Have you ever tried one of those before? I wonder how good of a distortion sound you can get out of it?

you have so much to learn young padowan. :D

how good? how good?

blues/rock distortion etc, anything but mesa gain can be coaxed with the right stuff in front of it.

It is the definitive desert island amp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    blues/rock distortion etc, anything but mesa gain can be coaxed with the right stuff in front of it.

this is why i have 3 gain pedals in my chain.
    Yes Master, but I don't have time to mess around with a bunch of pedals. The last thing I want is to be tap dancing while I am singing. I need something simple and to the point with minimal footswitching....like the Shiva for example.
    nailz100 wrote:
    Yes Master, but I don't have time to mess around with a bunch of pedals. The last thing I want is to be tap dancing while I am singing. I need something simple and to the point with minimal footswitching....like the Shiva for example.

Bogner.....the definitive desert island channel switching amplifier.
    channel switch or pedal. it's still tap dancing.
    exhausted wrote:
    channel switch or pedal. it's still tap dancing.

I learned from Shirley Temple.
    There is a difference between pedal and footswitch...believe me. Its like playing a Wah while singing. I figure by the End of May the Shiva will be mine.
    nailz100 wrote:
    There is a difference between pedal and footswitch...believe me. Its like playing a Wah while singing. I figure by the End of May the Shiva will be mine.

it's just two methods of accomplishing similar things. it's just stomping.

i'm calling your shiva and paco's strat the "chinese democracy" rig.:D
    nailz100 wrote:

cool just for the record I auditioned it on a shitty old fender cab you'll be happy with whatever you can find it sounds great even through that. I've been slacking on my guitar purchasing e-mails. I need to get off my ass and talk to Bill Nash. I have the money now and everything. It's just a matter of ordering it.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    cool just for the record I auditioned it on a shitty old fender cab you'll be happy with whatever you can find it sounds great even through that. I've been slacking on my guitar purchasing e-mails. I need to get off my ass and talk to Bill Nash. I have the money now and everything. It's just a matter of ordering it.

i'm curious to see his J series. the 12-string on his for sale page is lovely.
    You mean more of a dream than a reality?
    How much for that strat Paco?
    nailz100 wrote:
    You mean more of a dream than a reality?

no, that it's taking forever. ;)
    Hey man, it takes a while to save up 2200 US for an amp....we're starving musicians remember
    nailz100 wrote:
    Hey man, it takes a while to save up 2200 US for an amp....we're starving musicians remember

it's like the quality triangle (you can have any two but never the third) but instead of cheap/fast/good it's time/money/talent.

i had the time and money but...... shit all it did me.
    it's going to be around 15 or 1600 all total I think Nails with all the extra crap I'm asking for.

Yeah, Ex, I think the 12 should be pretty cool too.
    Thats pretty pricy Paco...but probably worth every penny with all the mods. You wanna lend me a grand so I can buy my dream?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    nailz100 wrote:
    Any of you guys into vintage sh*t

Ah... are crack whores into crack?

The honeymoon with the new Tele is wearing off... starting to wonder about swapping pups again. And my Strat/Tele hybrid idea is turning into an obsession.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    That is a pretty cool Idea MIG
    Ah... are crack whores into crack?

The honeymoon with the new Tele is wearing off... starting to wonder about swapping pups again. And my Strat/Tele hybrid idea is turning into an obsession.

did you check out harmonic designs STP's?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    did you check out harmonic designs STP's?

Whatsthewhatsit?
    Pacomc79 wrote:

I hadn't seen that, cool. I had, however, seen the pickup right below that on that page, the mini-Strat neck pup. Which is more what I want... I want the BODY of a Tele and the SOUND of a Strat. Not the other way around. Actually, I'll probably get a Harmonic Design Super 90 for the bridge, and two Strat pups for the middle and neck (Fralin? Vintage Noiseless? Cobalt? Ideas, anyone?)
    I hadn't seen that, cool. I had, however, seen the pickup right below that on that page, the mini-Strat neck pup. Which is more what I want... I want the BODY of a Tele and the SOUND of a Strat. Not the other way around. Actually, I'll probably get a Harmonic Design Super 90 for the bridge, and two Strat pups for the middle and neck (Fralin? Vintage Noiseless? Cobalt? Ideas, anyone?)

Honestly, like all fender pups custom shop or otherwise they all tend to be on the brightish side. Especially in Ash. The cobalts would be excellent as an Idea, but honestly I know you are primarily looking for that neck and middle toegther (Knopfleresque sound) Since you really want a more roundish tone, I'd maybe suggest staying away from fender even thought I LOVE the S-1 system. If you could wire the tele that way it would be great. The cobalts sound awesome with the switch engaged.

I'm in the same dilemma as you. I know I want the S-90 in the bridge. But I'm having a hard time deciding on the other two. I think I'm going to go with HD's Vintage Plus's but depending on the output you want I'd say either the Fralin 54's or the HD 54's would suit you well. Depending on price HD Fralin or Seymour Duncan Antiquities sound should suit you well. It just depends on how fat you want it. We'd have to talk to either Scott or Lindy to find out exactly how hot they all are, to match up the neck and middle with the S-90. Fralin Blues or HD vp's would be phenominal. Maybe even some rio grande tallboys.

(I'm assuming this guitar will be routed Nashville style sans the B-bender)

what about a 5 way switch wired like this?

Neck - Neck/Middle- Middle-Neck/Bridge- Bridge (extra switch for all on.)