Post your favorite amp

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm starting a thread.... Pick one amp that if you were stranded on a desert Island you would want to take with you (yes there is power and you can bring a guitar and cable). You don't have to own it, you just have to want it or obsess over it.

I'm curious to see the different flavors we all have...
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    1, that's not remotely fair.

I guess it would probably be a 1965 super reverb.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Thats a loaded question :)
    Since you are on a desert island, resale value means nothing.
    So I would go with a mint condition 65 Deluxe reverb or a Super.

If I could pick 2 it would be a Dumble overdrive special and a Fender Super/Deluxe reverb.

Pedals will take care of everything else :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    my deluxe reverb, a reissue with a vintage30. there's a reason i've had it as long as i have.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Got some fender fans in the house have we...
    nailz100 wrote:
    Got some fender fans in the house have we...

It was a tough choice, I almost and went with a 1959 laquered tweed bassman with 4 10" alnicos. I guess I could get the victoria version and have them add a tremolo circuit.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    '65 Deluxe Reverb, hands down.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    All about the clean sound and the OD pedals are we...

I'd imagine you'd need some kind of pedal to get a killer distortion out of one..
    nailz100 wrote:

I'd imagine you'd need some kind of pedal to get a killer distortion out of one..

A tubescreamer works nicely... Ex has more experience with different pedals thru them. I'd love to try my Shannon OD thru one. But they aren't super-high-gain amps, really. They overdrive really well and have great dynamics and response, allows your playing to really shine thru.
    just needs a clean, flat-eq, boost. that's it.
    nailz100 wrote:

It is the clean tone so many are after. The Allen I ordered is a Princeton clone, but I am running 6L6's in it, not 6V6's so I should be closer to a deluxe as far as head room.
    I really want a real 65, but for 2500 bones I can find better things to spend my money on ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    hmmm

deserted island you say?

well then ill go ahead and take my 120 watt fender twin reverb II

:)

it will actually sound like its suppose to!
    head room? mine starts to break up at 4.
    i really love the tone my other guitarist gets out of his 4x10 fende blues deville...
    62strat wrote:
    i really love the tone my other guitarist gets out of his 4x10 fende blues deville...

those things are beast. i miss mine but it was toooooo loud.
    exhausted wrote:
    those things are beast. i miss mine but it was toooooo loud.

is it at 80?

still less than my damn reverb
    that deville was 60W.

i used to run it in stereo with a 40W hot rod deluxe when i had folks to jam with back in the day.

mucho fun. except the other guy had an ultimate chorus and some other solid state fender that was icepicks in comparison.
    exhausted wrote:
    head room? mine starts to break up at 4.

yes a fender deluxe will break up around 4 or 5, my Allen wont break up till 6 or 7. 1) its 25 watts, 2) knobs start at 0, not 1 like the Fender.
    My post was a very poor explanation, but in comparison to a true BF princeton which is 12 watts or a bf Deluxe which is 22, my 25 should give me more clean head room. With the 6v6 swap it drops to 18.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    yes a fender deluxe will break up around 4 or 5, my Allen wont break up till 6 or 7. 1) its 25 watts, 2) knobs start at 0, not 1 like the Fender.
    My post was a very poor explanation, but in comparison to a true BF princeton which is 12 watts or a bf Deluxe which is 22, my 25 should give me more clean head room. With the 6v6 swap it drops to 18.

ah, now i understand.

mine go to 11.
  • SteveMurraySteveMurray Posts: 66
    give me a jcm800 on a desert island and i would be the happiest person alive
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    65 fender twin reverb.
    "give me a jcm800 on a desert island and i would be the happiest person alive"...

Where's MIG to rebutt this...
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    nailz100 wrote:
    "give me a jcm800 on a desert island and i would be the happiest person alive"...

Where's MIG to rebutt this...

what's to rebutt? there's nothing wrong with it.
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,132
    Fender Twin Amp 100 Watt (switchable to 25 watts)
    along with a TS9 (ibanez) or DS-2 (boss) distortion pedal
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Tough question. I think I'd have to go with a '59 Bassman. Then I'd have tons of alone time with it on the island. I'd be able to compare it to my '73 Bassman 10 when I got rescued by Janeane Garofalo and Katie Holmes. Yeah.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • BriansGMCBriansGMC Posts: 33
    Give me a VOX Ac30 and I would be happy
    nailz100 wrote:

Well, THIS is the amp I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=7319376198&rd=1

And I won't say a Marshall's a bad amp. It's just a bad amp for me. You guys can have your Marshalls on your desert islands, just make sure mine has a Deluxe Reverb.
    Well, THIS is the amp I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=7319376198&rd=1

just make sure mine has a Deluxe Reverb.

awesome. I love the grill cloth on the mid 60's too, just the smell of those things is cool.
  • NullifidianNullifidian Posts: 110
    Well I wouldnt mind taking my Vox AC30 but I'd probally take this baby:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/roadking.htm

Ah the good old mesa boogie Roadking and a 4x12 cab.

That way I'd probally be able to call/signal for help using guitar riffs lol! Its one hell of a beast!
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....