Pedal ideas

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know some of you are gonna laugh (Paco, mig), but (most likely) I am weeks or so away from picking up a Bogner Shiva if thats finally the route I decide to go. The only complaint that I've heard from some guys is that the shiva doesn't have enough gain for their needs. I was just wondering about some good pedals that I can put up front to give it the extra grit that it "might" need without sacrificing the natural sound/ tone of the amp too much? Any ideas?
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nailz100 wrote:
    I know some of you are gonna laugh (Paco, mig), but (most likely) I am weeks or so away from picking up a Bogner Shiva if thats finally the route I decide to go. The only complaint that I've heard from some guys is that the shiva doesn't have enough gain for their needs. I was just wondering about some good pedals that I can put up front to give it the extra grit that it "might" need without sacrificing the natural sound/ tone of the amp too much? Any ideas?

Deffinantly the Fulltone OCD....i love it
    the Maxon OD820 is good bet too
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    So, its way more than just a volume boost...and it actually give you more gain as well without losing clarity?
  • the OCD deffinantly does, and i can say so since i own one

the od820 can do both...volume boost and more gain
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    BJF Dyna Red Distortion; the Keeley Rat 2 (a bit loose for your tastes maybe) OCD might work. I'll try it out this week AMB is also a Fulltone dealer. There are a bunch of others as well, I bet a Soldano Supercharger would be great.

You will want to stay away from any (fat) overdrives. Most high gain players stay away from heavy mids so you might want to avoid tube screamer style boosts which would sound great in the amp especially cascaded but moreso for a Pearl Jam type sound, not the stuff you guys are doing.

I almost think you should wait until you buy the amp first and practice with it to decide how much more you need because it already has a boost feature. You'll also get a better feel for the amp that way, being forced to use it's features more at first.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Yeah, thats my plan Paco...I'm just looking down the road
    nailz100 wrote:
    Yeah, thats my plan Paco...I'm just looking down the road

ah good. Maybe a fulltone distortion pro too, because you can custom tailor it pretty well after some tweaking.

you can hear clips of the dyna red at http://www.custom-sounds.com

the OCD at http://www.fulltone.com but the fulltone clips aren't really in your register. I think the ones at CS were done on an 18 watt Budda Superdrive.

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.filereader?43fb31da0590f6b62741d94dcd0106b9+EN/products/12002

http://www.robertkeeley.com for the Keeley Rat 2 and his twilight zone MT2 that might be worth checking out. His Fuzz head and Java Boost are also worth a listen.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the distortion pro is worth a shot because of it's EQ flexibility.

basically, anything transparent enough or with great EQ would work well i'd think.
    Cool, thanks guys....keep em coming!

Paco, your PM box is full!
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    ah good. Maybe a fulltone distortion pro too, because you can custom tailor it pretty well after some tweaking.

Isn't the Distortion Pro equipped with those internal DIP switches?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    it's got internal trimmers for overall gain and a sort of midrangey thing. but bass/mid/treble/presence EQ on the outside too.
  • exhausted wrote:
    the distortion pro is worth a shot because of it's EQ flexibility.

basically, anything transparent enough or with great EQ would work well i'd think.

when i had the DP, it didnt seem transparent at all...
    it's not. but the EQ range allows it to take on many different characters which can help matching it up to different amps.

so it's an either/or really. that's more what i meant.
    when i had the DP, it didnt seem transparent at all...

you aren't looking for complete and total transparency in a boost of that kind you just need some gain, some volume boost and the ability to adjust the EQ of the pedal to the amplifier. You can't really prevent coloration from pedals you just want to have the flexibility to adjust the frequencies you want and the ones you don't want.

Hell maybe a GE-7 sniper might work, quick and dirty.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Dang...you live in Canada...home of Rick St. Pierre (Wizard) and James Peters (Peters Amps), and you're still gonna go Bogner?

The Shiva is a great amp, but you have builders that are homeboys and building incredible amps :)
    enharmonic wrote:
    Dang...you live in Canada...home of Rick St. Pierre (Wizard) and James Peters (Peters Amps), and you're still gonna go Bogner?

The Shiva is a great amp, but you have builders that are homeboys and building incredible amps :)

I told you there were better people than me to ask Nailz. :D

A wizard owner, biased much (no pun intended)
    Hey, I'm always into looking for new suggestions. Got any clips of what the amps can do?
    nailz100 wrote:
    Hey, I'm always into looking for new suggestions. Got any clips of what the amps can do?

http://www.petersamplification.com/main.htm

some from peters, I couldn't find any from wizard, just the main site.
    Didn't see any clips on there Paco, but the guy looks like he does really good work
    nailz100 wrote:
    Didn't see any clips on there Paco, but the guy looks like he does really good work

it's under the preamp section.