Sweep Picking

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone got any pointers? Cheers
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Takes months, if not then years to do this perfectly...my friend had to pracitice them for about 9-10 months to get it down...and 2 months later he perfected it

i honestly don't see the use of it, people say "I don't know how you can use that in a song"...I kind of agree

I practiced it for about 2 months and gave up, it wasn't work a full year to use something I dont use

But you may have a different opinion
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • It's a good thing to learn! Most people associate it with speed picking these days and metal,,, but it will help your rhythm and picking technique overall.

Try using the g, b and e strings first. Like an Dm chord at the 5th fret.
    Take your pick and in one steady motion sweep the pick across the three strings. Just get the feel of the pick and the timing. The timing is really important. Hold the pick the point is aiming upward a bit and hold it firmly enough so it hits solidly, but you aren't digging in to the string.
    It's really important to keep the notes clean and your picking hand limber and relaxed.

Then try sweeping down g, b and e strings then back up again. Use a metronome because timing is really important.
    Once you get accustomed to it, try fretting Dm and hammering on the 8th fret with your little finger then sweep back.

E
    (8)
    B
    G

Did I say timing was really important? :D

Then try a whole barre chord just to practice the motion and the, haha, timing.

I think of it as an emotional thing. It has to feel like what the mood of the song is. It's basically an old technique that you would call Arpeggios, but has an upgraded and easier to spell name!
    Jazz players use it all the time,,,,, rockers use it too. Jimmy Page is GREAT at that quick sweep in his soloing. It adds that sense of drama in a slow song, like "Since I've been loving you".

It will also transfer to better picking control over all when you're soloing.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    So What exactly is Sweep picking? From the explanations it just sounds like you are strumming.....
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • you aren't really fretting like a chord. timing the fret with the strum...right?
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan