Strings

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am contemplating switch from 10-46 to 11-50 or 52's and I'm just wondering what some of the advantages/ disadvantages would be to this.??? I should also mention that everything with the band I am now is written 1/2 a step down as opposed to before where I was playing everything in standard.
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    i have no idea

(hope i was of some help)
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • i'm not a fan of superlights/extra lights just cause i break them easily...im a fan of 10-46, im sure the 11-52 will have more sustain, and it might get a little more chunky when tuned down, if you need to drop it into D tunign (flat mind you) thats quite a few steps from the standard pitch...try a few different strings, it helps alot knowing whats out there

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I guess I should have mentioned that most of the songs are in dropped D. Still need some opinions guys/ gals
  • If you go to 11's you'll get a lot more power! The magnetic wave to the pickup is more powerful, so they'll drive harder.
    Tougher to bend on, but if you're tuned down a half step to Eb then you won't feel as much difference.
    If you're a whole step down at D then they'll feel about the same as 10's in E tuning.

Your fingers strengthen up pretty quickly to them, anyway.

I love 11's on a Strat or single coil guitar. You get a deeper tone and I like the quacky sound at the in between position with them. It's like a wrestling match with those suckers when you first put them on a Strat, too! I played with 12's for a long time, but my hands are getting weaker, so I'm slowly going back down in string size.

If you have a humbucker guitar, it might be a bit harder to play clean if you have a heavy hand, but they sound great if you lighten your touch.

Try a set out! :cool:
    You'll probably have to readjust your tremelo springs if you have one, and possibly have to tweak the neck truss rod a bit if the heavier strings pull on the neck (tighten the nut) and file the nut slots a little larger, too. If the strings bind in the nut slots when you tune them, you need wider slots.
    You may need to reintonate at the saddles because the larger gauge string changes the length of the string by a wee bit.
    In other words, it's a bit of a commitment if you go to 11's because you may need to get the guitar set up again.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Your have to check the intonation and possiblely the action either way
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    You mean a custom set with heavier strings on the EAD I'm assuming? Ya, I've thought of that, I'm just not sure how I feel about getting a "customized" set. Good advice Who's PJ, I didn't know I needed quite that much of a set up, but its probably time to get one done anyways...I've been neglecting.
  • if you're already in Eb tuning AND using Dropped D on top of it ... i would definately support bumping up to 11's ...

hell ... if you are doing Eb ... you may want to even try something like putting another G string in place of your B string ... and bumping your high E up to one from a set of 12s (believe the E would be a 56) ...

it's all dependent on what sound you're after ...

The G string instead of a B string is something Pete Townshend used to do ... and it helped him get that beefier sound ... does really good for some of those bends between the root and the 5th in a D chord shape ... (like holding the D and bending the A up ...)

just a thought ...
    but yes ... what Who's_PJ said ... 11's would be great.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Step 1: Change bands

:)

Step 2: Pick strings

Just being an ass. 1/2 step down is something I am not a fan of.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    http://www.myspace.com/longwaydown Now tell me if you're a fan. lol

just doing some shameless self promotion..haha, but the vid on there is funny
  • nailz100 wrote:
    You mean a custom set with heavier strings on the EAD I'm assuming? Ya, I've thought of that, I'm just not sure how I feel about getting a "customized" set. Good advice Who's PJ, I didn't know I needed quite that much of a set up, but its probably time to get one done anyways...I've been neglecting.

No most of the major sting manufactures have sets of "Heavy bottomed" strings.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Just being an ass. 1/2 step down is something I am not a fan of.

so you don't like any songs by Alice In Chains OR Guns N Roses ...

both bands recorded almost EXCLUSIVELY in Eb tuning ...
    with the exception of alt tuning EVERY GnR song written and at least every AIC song I know are in Eb.

A lot of early Van Halen and a good bit of Hendrix is in Eb as well ...

???
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    Cool, I'll look into that ATY. Cheers
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Cool, I'll look into that ATY. Cheers

No problem

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i'm not a fan of superlights/extra lights just cause i break them easily...im a fan of 10-46, im sure the 11-52 will have more sustain, and it might get a little more chunky when tuned down, if you need to drop it into D tunign (flat mind you) thats quite a few steps from the standard pitch...try a few different strings, it helps alot knowing whats out there

Harrison
    me either..hate lights/ultra lights. Especially Elixirs. I prefer Mediums, usually Martin M150s or GHS White Bronze

all4