I'm relatively new to guitar and need advice...

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok so I'm in the process of learning guitar and have a Fender Squire at the minute and I'm looking to upgrade but need advice on what to upgrade to, especially as I'm on a budget - £600.00

Any advice?
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    More info is needed - what styles and sounds are you looking for (there's sooo many choices).

On here you'll basically get 2 opinions - Fender & Gibson (or the Squier of Gibson - Epiphone).
    Play a bunch of Strats/Teles, & Les Pauls/SG's - most people here will direct you towards those.

I'd recommend that you play as many different kinds of guitars as possible to decide for yourself
    what sounds best to you (you won't need any of us to help you decide that - hey, it's your ears).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    Yeah, play as many guitars as you can. Go to a store and play them.

Listen to guitar tones that you really like and figure out what kind of guitar they are playing. More money does not always equal better either. I know guys who are playing the new classic vibe Squire telecaster ($300) that say it sounds better than their 52 reissue Telecasters ($1500)
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Well, Im quite comfortable playing Fender strats....

I'm learing blues guitar but finding that my Fender Squir goes out of tune so quickly....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Lee MLee M Posts: 142
    You might want to look into LTD's as well. They're a hell of a guitar for the money.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Godin makes GREAT guitars for the money as well.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    i'll just repeat what everyone else has said...hehe

play as many as you can--and it helps to play them through the type of amp that you'll want in the future. i was a huge SG fan (i still am), but as soon as I played my strat, that was it for me. I talked to the guy @ the shop and told him what kind of music I played, what kind of sound I'd want, etc. He pointed me to a Fender HRDeluxe and that was it.

Even if you aren't going to be buying your amp that day, it's still something that I would suggest you do. Hope this helps & good luck!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • fender mexican strat
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08