Options

Advice needed!

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just started playing guitar so obviously a beginner, but interested in learning some of Pearl Jams work, which songs by Pearl Jam could someone recommend ?
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.giventowail.com It's pretty self explanatory.

Rick's done an awesome job with that site.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Most people would agree with the first pearl jam song you gotta learn. Wishlist. Sounds awesome and you can learn it in a day maybe if you really JUST started. Maybe 2 days cause ur fingers will hurt. But you will play something you recognize within a day.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    if your just looking to play some simple riffs that you will recognize, try wishlist, jeremy, corduroy, sometimes & betterman. Long Road could be the easiest song to play the whole way through. Porch is also a simple song that you can play forever.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Wishlist
    I Am Mine
    Jeremy
    Porch
    Low Light.
    Ha ha I've a custy
  • Options
    omg all of u are dumb!...rearview mirror is the easiest pearl jam song to play EVER!
    "If it weren't for the Buzzcocks we might sounds like uh..Good Charlotte or something...no they are good it just sounds like...or taste like..a popsicle thats been stuck up somebody's ass...but thats just my opinion...some people are into that, who am I to say?"
    ~Vedder to crowd at MSG1

"The reason celine dion doesnt spit is because she swallows"
    Ed

IM POOR...CAN I HAVE A DOLLAR?
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I vote for "Black" and "Elderly Woman" as the easiest.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    nocode198nocode198 Posts: 125
    last kiss, same four chords all the way through. plus its cool to sing along to.
    'Fox hunting is barbaric, the people who do it are a bunch of snobby tories with stupid posh accents. Oh damn, i didn't say that - damn, what a giveaway...'
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    black has some odd chords in it, that for a beginner would make it difficult... my opinion.

the first song I learned all the way through... long road... the first song I tried to learn was corduroy... but I couldn't figure out how to get from up around the 7th fret... ALL THE WAY DOWN to the 3rd fret that fast and hit that chord...

I got past that... but isn't it funny how difficult things can seem when you are unfamiliar with them...

I suggest long road.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by House53
    black has some odd chords in it, that for a beginner would make it difficult... my opinion.

You can fake it really easy, though, with E and A for the verse, C and Em for the pre-chorus, and D, C, and Em for the chorus. It's really easy. Then you can start working on the chord shapes and placements, and really change it up. It's a good song to work through.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I would learn easy stuff like betterman or last kiss if you are just learning to play guitar.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Options
    easy pj songs are

last kiss
    elderly woman
    immortality
    betterman
    lowlight
    wishlist
    nothing as it seems

the basic rhythm guitar to all of these is pretty basic.
  • Options
    Not For You. This song is just an E major that slides a little bit. Also, like the first guy said, giventowail is the place to go for guitar tab.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • Options
    ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    black drives me crazy, i am by no means a pro or really even that good but have been playing for about 10 years on and off and just finally got to the point where i can play a hacked up job of black, at least the transcribed version in the 10 tab book. those chords just do not want to work with my fingers, anyhow sad is pretty easy to play, i picked that up in a day
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • Options
    "omg all of u are dumb!...rearview mirror is the easiest pearl jam song to play EVER!"

I pray that was sarcasm.
    I am no pro but that song is just generally dificult to play at full speed. I think that most here would agree. Especially when you start off. It's just tricky moving your fingers that fast without screwing up. Very easy to miss strings. Jeremy is a good lead up to that song and even that song is not nearly as easy as say wishlist.

BTW all, I have never benn able to play better man....dunno why.
  • Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    its not friggin hard to play RVM....but if you're a beginner ...thats another story...
    unless you happen to be born with insane natural guitar speed.

i suggest Leavin Here... simple but sweet
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • Options
    Isn't that what I said?

The other dude (who may have been sarcastic) claimed it was the "easiest song ever" or something along those lines. That is insane.

Being able to play a song easily does not make a song easy to play in general.

Like everyone misses a string on that song once in a while. I'm sure the guys do to once ina while in concert.
  • Options
    betterman and last kiss is what i started with.

betterman is good cause it will help you develop your fingerpicking skills a little. and last kiss, heck ill write the tab right now

G Em C D

thats it.
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG