Microphone Recomendations?

WESWES Posts: 168
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking for a mic to record acoustic guitar and vocals. Any recommendations? Unfortunately price is a factor (as with everything) and i wouldn't want to exceed $100CDN...

A friend recommended a Shure SM-58.

Any other suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    Hey Wes, your friend is on the right track - but i would go for the SM57 as it has a better response for acoustic guitar. the SM58 is more of a vocal mike but can used to mike up cabs and acoustics. probably worth going second hand if $ is a factor too. also check out AKG, there mics are cool and reasonable for the cash. there are no rules when it comes to mics but obviously they are designed for certain applications. hope that helps:-)
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I second the 57 unless you can find some kind of condenser or stereo condenser.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    You might be able to pick up a Marshall MXL large-diaphram condenser for that price range. I know you could get a Nady, but an MXL would be much better. But you'll need phantom power (or a condenser that can be battery powered).

Between an SM57 and SM58, I'd get the 58. The 58 is the same mic capsule as the 57, but it adds the pop filter windscreen. Unscrew the ball on the end of a 58, and it's the same as a 57. That way you could sing into it with the pop filter, and then take the filter off to record the guitar.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.