Fender CHAMP

WESWES Posts: 168
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have noticed a lot of mention of the earlier/vintage fender Champs and they seem to be within a reasonable price range...the lower wattage seems to be perfect for my needs...(occasional jams, practice, and light recording).... I really want that tube tone as opposed to the solid state peice of garbage I am dealing with now...

Is there an over-drive and/or reverb that come with the Champ?....also is it possible to install an external speaker jack to the amp? if so how complex and expensive would it be?

any other amp suggestions are welcome.

thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have a Silverface Champ and Vibro Champ, both from '74-'75. They're as basic as you get - volume, bass and treble, except for the tremelo circuit on the VC. No reverb, no overdrive. I play both with the unrivaled Shannon Overdrive pedal in front of it and it does the job perfectly and then some.

As far as the external speaker jack, I don't really know what you mean - you need mccreadyisgod for this one. Both of them have two instrumental inputs each and I know the guy I bought the VC from had hooked it up with a big speaker cabinet or something like that. Don't ask me how or details.

The low wattage is a blessing, especially for the needs you just described. I use them for bedroom practice and they sound great. You can also get the natural tube overdrive when you put the volume around 7, which is still not 'too loud', but not exactly quiet either.

Hope this helps a bit... mccreadyisgod is the technical expert.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Champs from the late 70's early 80's "Rivera" era may well have a speaker out jack. Probably 8 ohms. Sure, you can hook up a bigger cabinet and it will work fine as long as the OHM's match up. As discussed, you will need an overdrive/distortion/fuzz/clean boost what have you but champs and vibrochamps are great amps.

I'd say a champ, with a BJF Honey Bee or Baby Blue or Little Green Wonder would be just about heavenly as I'm sure PW's twins are with the Shannon but there are a few other great overdrives you might like, My Barber DD is outstanding with fenders too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: Pacomc79 also knows about this stuff

;)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    pearlwax wrote:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: Pacomc79 also knows about this stuff

;)

not really, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night :)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.