Playing Harmonica in Key with Guitar?

WESWES Posts: 168
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to be able to do some improv with the harmonica while I'm strumming away... Does anyone know of any sites that have lessons/tips/tutorials that would help me learn how to play in key on the harp to what I'm playing on guitar?

I have a harp in the Key of G if thats of any importance...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You know how a guitar solo is played in the key the song is in?

Same thing for harmonica.

Your harmonica is in G, so generally you should just play it with songs in that key.

I've seen songs played with Harms in different keys, but that makes it more complex.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    http://www.grothmusic.com/online/crossharp.htm

Play first position on traditional sounding songs (drifting, hide your love away)These songs the harp is in the same key as the song

second position gives a bluesy sound... in that case you follow the chart... if the song is in E, play an A harp (like Roadhouse Blues) etc... more of a bluesy feel because of the notes in the harmonica.

Just play and emphasize the notes that fit with the song... again like on guitar when soloing.
    There's No Code.
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    thanks, now if only i knew how to solo...lol...
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    WES wrote:

Usually just notes in a scale. I'm in the same boat though, I can't solo or improvise worth a damn anyway.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    WES wrote:

that's where practice and training your ear comes into play... pick a couple of songs... figure out what harp you need and just practice... you will be able to hear what sounds good and musical and what sounds off... over time it will get better.
    There's No Code.