Volume Boxes

WESWES Posts: 168
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'll eventually be purchasing a new tube amp...and my biggest concern is buying something that is way to loud for practice and studio....however, i dont want to be limited by the relatively small amount of 15W tubes amps, also I want to be able to have the option of playing in a band situation....I noticed these volume boxes claiming to be able to cut power to the amp while being able to achieve a tone that would otherwise be created at much higher levels...(or something like that)....what I was wondering if these things are nothing more than a box that sucks the tone out of the amp...or actually a useful item? I found one on Ebay, but i doubt it is of quality...but ill post the link so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about and don't have to try and decipher my jargon any further.lol....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VOLUME-BOX-POWER-BRAKE-SOAK-ATTENUATOR-TONE-ONLY-15_W0QQitemZ7373015137QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: I guess the technical name would be an attenuator.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey Wes,

I think one route you could consider is the 15 watt amp + speaker cab option. If you get a cheaper tube amp like a 15 watt fender or something, you can always get a 2x12 or 4x12 cab to increase the volume for live situations. This does however have portability issues.

An attenuator might be a good option but they supposedly can affect your tone significantly, they are also hard on your tubes.

Something else is, I dunno if you have ever played a 15 watt tube amp with a 12" speaker, but in my experience that is gonna be loud enough to play with drums. Depending on the make of the amp (mesa, Hiwatt etc) 15 watts is going to be extremely loud through a 12" speaker. With a speaker cab it will be even louder.

When you play a club a 15 watt tube might do it fine, cause your gonna mike it most likely. so as long as its loud enough to hear yourself...
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    yeah, i figured that the attenuator would put extra stress on the tubes and such....ultimately when i do buy an amp, i would be looking for something that has a tone very similar to a fender deluxe...i would just save up and get a deluxe, but 40 watts is far too much power and i wouldnt want to ditch out another couple hundred for an attenuator....I like the idea of an extension cab as an option to boost the loudness a bit...

any ideas on a 15 watt tube that would sound as close to a deluxe without breaking the bank????
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    WES wrote:
    any ideas on a 15 watt tube that would sound as close to a deluxe without breaking the bank????

No clue on that, but I have a 15 watt Fender Blues Junior that can get plenty loud. So much so that I never turn the master volume higher than 2 or 2.5. Can't wait to get into a situation where I could crank it. I'm sure if I cranked it I would be fine in a small gig situation. Its got a great clean tone and with the master and regular volume knob, plus a FAT switch for a little extra preamp gain, it gets some decent overdrive too.

Just my two cents.
  • yea ive got a fender deville 212 and its big
    almost too big, i cant quite get the right sound out of it
    im thinking of selling it and buying a deluxe...
    but anyways
    this amp is loud, like pete townshend loud.
    i need an attenuator, can anyone sugest any?

thanks!
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08