Sell or Keep my First Guitar?

JBuck31JBuck31 Posts: 10
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for a few years now and im getting sick of my beginner squier guitar. It was great when i first started out but I need something more. Do you think i should sell it and go for an epiphone les paul or keep my squier as a sort of momento? Im lacking on the funds though.

(Im selling a Dod supra 55c distortion pedal if anyone is interested.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'd keep it.

or course, i destroyed my first guitar but i really regret that. i still have the neck though hanging in my music space.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm going to hang mine on the wall in April if I get my bonus if and when I am buying a new Strat.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    keep all your guitars
    even when your battle axe of a wife yells at you
    which is why i will never get married
    and will have 7,000 guitars in on small studio apartment
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    hey johnny, hows the backhand?
  • GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    what's that doc?
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    ha, better watch your job jonny.....
  • hang on to it.

I have a squier strat that I've had for like 10 or 12 years. I always keep it around in an open tuning.

It doesn't sound that good (obviously), but I still like how it feels.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Keep it. I still have my first guitar...a crummy samick. When I bought it I was really young and naive and the guy at the store explained how companies like Fender were really overrated and made poor quality guitars. Hey I was young and didn't know any better!

Anyway I rarely pick it up but I still keep it.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • you could always keep it, become really famous and then sell it in auction, giving all the proceeds to charity!
    of course that is all easier said than done.

Cheers
    Gherk
  • Beginner guitars are also great for modifying...

Get some Seymour Duncan pickups, strip the paint and do a custom finish, have some fun. It won't be worth as much money as the memories are worth, and you might be able to rebuild it into quite the guitar.

I wish I had the first guitar I ever learned on, but it suffered an unfortunate fate.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Did it "accidentally" get set on fire? Or did El Smashereeno come for a visit?
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • It was a great old acoustic, an F-hole style, that got stepped on in the dark. Brother had been playing it in the family room, and I was sneaking back in later that night... didn't see it, stepped right down in the middle of the body. I was SOOOO pissed.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Keep it. Fick around with tunings. Open it up to check out its guts. Frankenstein it. Experiment with paint, soldeer & orange juice. Just don't throw it away.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Keep it!

Someday you may look back in an interview and say, ahhh, it all started with this!
    Smile :)
  • Doug RDoug R Posts: 34
    Wish I would have kept mine...It was a Hondo Les Paul copy...Brand new for like 150$ back in the early 80s....picked up a Gibson MV X about a year later...
  • I've been playing guitar for a few years now and im getting sick of my beginner squier guitar. It was great when i first started out but I need something more. Do you think i should sell it and go for an epiphone les paul or keep my squier as a sort of momento? Im lacking on the funds though.

originally posted by would ya hit me?

I sold my first squire and moved on to bass. I grew a chinstrap beard and learned to play everything I could.

send Me a picture of it, maybe I'll buy it.

sb
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I've been playing guitar for a few years now and im getting sick of my beginner squier guitar. It was great when i first started out but I need something more. Do you think i should sell it and go for an epiphone les paul or keep my squier as a sort of momento? Im lacking on the funds though.

(Im selling a Dod supra 55c distortion pedal if anyone is interested.)

save. sentimental value is priceless.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • I still have my beginner Squier. I just can't bear to part with it...plus, it's covered in all my PJ stickers and I would never part with THEM! Even newer ones just end up on the Squier Strat. I can't bring myself to sticker my acoustic or newish Tele, and I had already started stickering the Squier when I first got it...soooooooo I kept going and now it's covered in them. It looks pretty damn cool actually. :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'm pretty sure reviving a 4-year old thread is a no-no.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    I'm pretty sure reviving a 4-year old thread is a no-no.
    Ditto...I was wondering what the hell this was from...I was a freshy back in high school when this started...oh the memories of just STARTING to learn guitar.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Never forget where you came from, a wise man once told me. KEEP IT !! always remember where you started...
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • now the real question is.....was it kept or was it sold? I talked an old boyfriend into keeping his first bass. I have not seen him for years, I always wondered if he ever wanted to thank me for telling him to keep it.

My husband gave his first acoustic to a great friend a long time ago. However we get to visit her every once and awhile. She is in great hands. He still has his first electric bass and guitar however.

My sons received a $15 guitar for Christmas last year. I will not be saving it. When and if they continue to play as they get old, the 1st real purchased guitar I hope they save.

4 years old and still going strong!
    Let's Go Red Sox!