Guitar wiring/pickup replacement

HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
How difficult is it to learn how to, and do, a complete electronics and pickup replacement for an electric guitar? My friend gave me an old Gibson which is gutted completely of electronics, no pots or pickups, hell no pickguard :p
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• When it's gutted, it's easy!

Go to Seymour Duncan, or Lindy Fralin's website and there are all kinds of wiring diagrams for different sound options. You can always get the basic four wire humbuckers and change options later to your own taste
    Stewmac.com has switches and volume and tone controls (pots), pickguards, output jack, 3 way switches, and lots of advice. Read up a bit on it on those sites and learn to solder a bit before you apply molten solder to your brand new electronics.:eek:

It's a great guitar project. It'll go together in an afternoon once you get all the parts and a little knowledge.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Not one afternoon, I also have to replace the frets and get a new bridge and tailpiece. Gonna take awhile to scrounge that much extra $ ;) But thanks for the tips.

The bridge and tailpiece are easy,
    Frets?,, Ok, a little more time than that!
    the first 2 will take a day,,,, the rest, about 20 minutes! You can get them at Stewmac, too.
    What kind of Gibson?

That's a cool project
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Originally posted by HYLA
    A 1981 Victory .. one of Gibson's failed attempts to steal some of Fender's Strat market.

I kind of like the victories. I remember one of my buddies I grew up and jammed with used to play one. I agree it was pretty much a miserable failure though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    I like the look a lot. It's like a funky Strat/Soloist/Firebird mix. The headstock rules, love that weird look :) When it's done it won't resemble it's prior miserable failure status ;)