Harvest Moon harmonics

HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was listening to a live track of Neil doing Harvest Moon. I'm trying to figure out how he does the little bit between the intro and where he plays the harmonics. It sounds like he plays an Em 22xxxx (drop D) and then does the harmonics down at the 12th fret, but the Em chord is still ringing out when the harmonics start to ring. Unless he has a hand with 24 inch long fingers I don't see how he keeps the Em ringing at the top of the neck while he's playing the harmonics at the bottom. Anyone know how he gets that sound? Or how do you play it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you know about Crazy Horse right?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • strange, i'm always played the song up around the 9th and 10th frets (don't have a guitar with me so i couldn't say exactly), and the harmonics run down the 12th fret from the high E down to the D strong, then the 5th string harmonic is played at the 7th fret. my only guess as to the live track is that there are 2 guitarists. or maybe he playes the Em as x79000? and then reaches with pinky up to 12th?
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    No, it's a track of him at Bridge School, solo. Ed and Peggy back him on vocals but it's just Neil on the guitar. Here's the part of the song I'm referring to, if you want to download it and check it out (700kb):

http://www.wtfsoup.com/vbb/gallery/misc.php?do=downloadfile&i=122

Btw I don't hear x79000.
  • i don't know if Neil does the same thing but Ed uses a slide capo (don't know the official term) he plays the intro with the capo around the 11th fret (can't see it exactly on the video) and than slides it over the neck when the first verse kicks in.
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • Anyone have correct tabs for this song? I figured out most of it on my own but there's a couple of parts that I can't seem to get...
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Neil uses a capo on this song live? Hrm.