Horrible Shows (non PJ)

BrotherBrother Posts: 63
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just played a horrible show at a scxhool in my home town.

-the crowd was alright
-the mics were fucked and dead
-a guy that has connections was there.

Just 3 days ago we played at a different school where we were received so well and everyone screamed! Today it wasn't even half as good.

Should I take thius as a positive experience and build on that or should I piss about it and get ready for our next show?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    move on it's no big deal, everyone plays some crappy shows.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

Some play mostly crappy shows and still get a record deal. Cornell, Nirvana (more crap then good), the list goes on and on.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by JofZ
    Some play mostly crappy shows and still get a record deal. Cornell, Nirvana (more crap then good), the list goes on and on.

oh snap!! controversy!!
  • BrotherBrother Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Even Pearl Jam?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by Brother
    Even Pearl Jam?

yes even Pearl Jam.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Gigs from Hell. Take it as a positive experience. Everyone has them at some point. It's part of playing live. Laugh it off and keep playing. If it is something that you can improve, work on what the problem was if you can. Some stuff is unavoidable, like funky mikes or amps or .......... It's important to try and enjoy the moment when something goes wrong, because the audience will pick up on the band panicking right away. If you're laughing through a problem, the audience will be on your side, and stay with you in spirit

I've played with tons of bands in my life. No matter how big or small, there are always nights where everyone in the band is off, even completely lost in a song where a few are playing the chorus a few the verse. After you get some experience, you learn how to get it back together in front of a crowd.

Some of my favorite live bands are the ones that were always screwing up. The Grateful Dead always had equipment problems, especially early on,, but it became part of the show, they worked around it. Pearl Jam makes a lot of what you could call mistakes onstage, and it doesn't take away from the actual performance. To me, it adds to it, because you know that they are human, and the rough edges add to the music.

It's weird that sometimes when you think you played like crap, and things weren't gelling,at the end of the night, everyone loved it and wants more!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Gigs from Hell. Take it as a positive experience. Everyone has them at some point. It's part of playing live. Laugh it off and keep playing. If it is something that you can improve, work on what the problem was if you can. Some stuff is unavoidable, like funky mikes or amps or .......... It's important to try and enjoy the moment when something goes wrong, because the audience will pick up on the band panicking right away. If you're laughing through a problem, the audience will be on your side, and stay with you in spirit

I've played with tons of bands in my life. No matter how big or small, there are always nights where everyone in the band is off, even completely lost in a song where a few are playing the chorus a few the verse. After you get some experience, you learn how to get it back together in front of a crowd.

Some of my favorite live bands are the ones that were always screwing up. The Grateful Dead always had equipment problems, especially early on,, but it became part of the show, they worked around it. Pearl Jam makes a lot of what you could call mistakes onstage, and it doesn't take away from the actual performance. To me, it adds to it, because you know that they are human, and the rough edges add to the music.

It's weird that sometimes when you think you played like crap, and things weren't gelling,at the end of the night, everyone loved it and wants more!
    Wow, Thanks!
  • Wanna hear some crappy shows? Check out Perseus (my band)...
    Seriously now... that happens to every band out there... like... two weeks ago I had this terrible gig gone to the worst.... I fucked up an amp, the drummer didn't keep good time, and the singer was practically speaking the words... sooo lame. Last night, though, was awesome. We played at my old high school for a small fund raiser and it was excellent... the people were crazy, the songs came out great, and I could say it was overall a great show. Ups and downs, happens in every band in every show... move on. You'll do great next time.
    I want to show you something, like joy inside my head. Seems I've been living in the Temple of the Dog, where would I live if I were a man of golden words?
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    The crowd is your libido... your life force if you will... I've found that even if my band is blazing through a set with great energy and just good vibes, if the crowd isn't having it, you're going to start lagging really easily...

Everytime I look out into the crowd and see people jamming out or people with their eyes closed just rocking out to the music, it kind of validates what I'm doing and gives me energy and some seriously boogy to my playing...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.