Distortion Pedals

ShwnShwn Posts: 37
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm thinking about buying a Boss DS-1 or a Tubescreamer pedal. I'll be running it through a Fender Hotrod Deville with 2 12's, and with usually be playing a Gibson Les Paul. I've been looking at the Keeley modded pedals, and was wondering if I should go with a DS-1 or one of the Tubescreamers. We typically play heavier stuff like Tool, Alice In Chains, Slayer, or Rage, and for those I use the Metal Zone pedal. We also cover lots of Pearl Jam, and other songs that use less distortion, but I need something more than the overdrive channel on the amp. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks.
"One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
-Between the Buried and Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Shwn wrote:
    I'm thinking about buying a Boss DS-1 or a Tubescreamer pedal. I'll be running it through a Fender Hotrod Deville with 2 12's, and with usually be playing a Gibson Les Paul. I've been looking at the Keeley modded pedals, and was wondering if I should go with a DS-1 or one of the Tubescreamers. We typically play heavier stuff like Tool, Alice In Chains, Slayer, or Rage, and for those I use the Metal Zone pedal. We also cover lots of Pearl Jam, and other songs that use less distortion, but I need something more than the overdrive channel on the amp. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks.

Go with a Baked TS-9, it should play well with the Metal Zone, then later on you can send the Metal Zone in for the (Twilight Zone) mod.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=4
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • They will pry my Baked TS-9 from my cold, dead fingers.

So yeah, get one of those.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • samicksamick Posts: 373
    After having my ds-1 dor only a day....i love it.......

but i still crave a ts-9.............maybe soon..........
  • To me it sounds like you might want to try and change amps, ecspecially with the bands that you cover. However, I had the same problem that you seem to have run into. I have a PRS running into a Fender Twin and it tends to be a "bit" to clean for some of the heavier stuff that I like to play (Tool, Deftones), so without enough money to buy another amp I searched for a pedal that might add some crunch to my system. I found it in a tube-driven Soldano Supercharger GTO. It is a distortion pre-amp pedal that adds not only distortion, but a boost to your signal.

As far as what the others have suggested, I don't know because I have never used a baked TS-9, but the mere fact that it is being touted by them deserves attention.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • I have TS-9 keeley mod, and I have a Hot Rod Deville 4x10's.
    The Tone is sweet. Buying the keely mod pedal was one of the best purchases Ive ever made.

Hey Mcreadyisgod. You play through 2 keeley modded scremaers, yes ?

I have the TS-9 keely mod plus now, and i was thinking about getting the baked as a second boost into a solo.
    Any idea's ? Hows the sound with the 2 running through.
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • C-minor wrote:
    Hey Mcreadyisgod. You play through 2 keeley modded scremaers, yes ?

I have the TS-9 keely mod plus now, and i was thinking about getting the baked as a second boost into a solo.
    Any idea's ? Hows the sound with the 2 running through.

I play through two Keeley modded TS-9 pedals. One is a Plus mod (basically, an 808 chip and cleaner signal path) and the other is a Baked mod (808, cleaner path, MORE GAIN).

I use the Plus as a crunch, not much drive, high output. The Baked is damn near a distortion, but a smooth, wicked-overdriven sound, not a harsh distortion. The two together screams... especially the sustain, and the controlled feedback. It's highly compressed, too. But I have the drive cranked on the Baked mod, it would probably be more expressive with less drive. Both pedals on their own are great.

The key is that I play into single-channel, non-master-volume tube amps that are almost always running at "3" or higher. That way, you get that phat tube saturation and overdrive at all levels.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.