Guitar and Amp Malfunctions

ShwnShwn Posts: 37
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've got two separate problems, one with my amp, and one with my guitar, if anyone can offer any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. We'll start with the amp. It's a Fender Hotrod Deville with 2 twelves, I've had it about a year and a half. The clean channel works perfectly, but for some reason the overdrive channel doesn't work correctly. Whenever I switch over to that channel it just sounds a little more staticky, but with non of the distorion I should hear. I'm wondering if changin the tubes could fix this problem, and if so is that a job for the shop, or myself to do?
Now for the guitar, I have a Gibson Les Paul Special, and up until recently it worked completely fine. Now I find that when I switch over to the neck pickup it sounds very clean, even if I'm running the guitar through my metal zone pedal, and the other pickup setting was very distorted. It also doesn't scream like it used to on my leads. One thing that I think might have caused this is that my pickup switch is loose, possibly things need to be resoldered? I really have no idea, so if anyone can help with any of these problems that would be great. Thanks
"One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
-Between the Buried and Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Take the amp to the shop. Have them look at it, and if it need new tubes they'll tell you. It could be something on the circuit board though. I had a problem like this with my Traynor amp about 2 years ago. It turned out a tech has installed the wrong bloody preamp tubes and it overloaded a transistor or something like that.

As for guitar, same thing. Try opening up the cavity with the switch in it and spray in some contact cleaner. This could fix it, but I really don't know.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That's God telling you to never ever under any circumstance engage the overdrive channel on those amps. :)

It's probably a little dust or a loose soldier joint inside somewhere.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    On the amp: Sounds like a preamp tube took a dive on the overdrive channel. You could fix it with new preamp tubes, but I'd fix it with a tubescreamer. Like Paco said, the drive channel on those amps are not fit for human consumption.

As for the guitar, it sounds like a loose connection, either something needs re-soldered or the pup switch needs replaced.

Idiot check: you do know that the drive channel on your amp has different controls than the clean channel, i.e. gain and master volume, vs. the clean channel's volume knob? And the guitar has individual volume control for each pickup? Sorry, I've seen people go beserk trying to fix what seemed like obvious problems... no reflection on you...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.