Next essential effect?

stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi Gearheads!

With my new Fender American Series Strat I got for Xmas I discovered the world of electric guitars! :) Only had an acoustic before then. I don't really have knowledge of effects and would like some recommendations for my next essential pedal to get.
My only pedal right now is the "Boss BD-2 Blues Driver" (good one I believe). Should I go for a delay, a chorus or something different now? I don't want to achieve a certain sound, I want to be flexible and get a wide variety of "standard" sounds until I'm more experienced. Maybe my music preferences might help out a bit: PJ (of course), REM, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, etc... I think you got my taste. ;)

Thanks!
Steve
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• There are so many options out there, it's difficult to recommend any one. Wah-wah or delay would be my first recommendation as a standard effect, but phasers, flangers, compressors, vibratos, tremolos, distortions, fuzz-boxes, and other toys are all pretty cool, depending on what you're shooting for. You might just wait for a while, see what sorta stuff you want to do, but if you want a new toy, get a delay. That's my personal opinion and recommendation, though, don't just take my word for it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Go for a Wah Wah or a delay they are the least subtle effects that are really fun to play with.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thanks for your suggestions!

I think I'll go for a delay next. Any brand/model suggestions? I'm pretty happy with my current Boss, so how about the "DD" series?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if you can find one, try a danelectro dan-echo. it's digital but emulates analog very well. they're discontinued now so stores may be clearning them out.

the boss DD's are extremely sterile and lifeless in my opinion.
    i like the guyatone MD-3.

The Digitech x-series digital delay is 99 bucks and very flexible. It would also be a good one to try because of the different tones.

Also the Ibanez Delay Echo is cool

The Visual Sound H20 is also cool and in the Dan Echo vein.

I also think the Rocktron Short timer is a good deal

The Bosses are fine. As a general rule Digital is clean and crisp and accurate to some people dull and boring with too much high end.

Analog is rich and warm and loose. Depending on your musical taste you will probably like one or the other or both. Digital is much cheaper than analog but there are various ways to go. The only way to find out is to go play them.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • does smashing pumpkins fall in to your favorite bands category.

2 words BIG MUFF
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Delay
    Wow, look how many agree!

You can play around with them a lot.

Then, two weeks later, repost for the next effect you'll want!

Are the Akai Headrushes still around?
    I have one of them and that one has a little bit of a looper built in, delay and tape echo. The looper is great to practice to yourself with. You kick a button and get like 22 seconds of recording that will loop over and over.

That can get you through maybe 4 weeks before you want a Chorus pedal!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

As for delays for just under $100 you can get a Guyatone MD-3 or a Digitech Digidelay. A Boss DD-6 is around $150 or so, DD-5 a little cheaper. They each do things the other doesn't. I got the MD-3 because it was the only one that self-oscilates.

If you want to drop around $200-250 a Line 6 DL-4 is good. But SY and Radiohead are known more for their phase instead of delay. Try a MXR or an EH Small Stone for under $150

$200 and up the MF103 Moogerfooger 12-Stage Phaser, Mutron, Maxon PH350 Rotary Phaser or a Prophecy Sounds Infinitphase.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    Delay

Are the Akai Headrushes still around?
    I have one of them and that one has a little bit of a looper built in, delay and tape echo. The looper is great to practice to yourself with. You kick a button and get like 22 seconds of recording that will loop over and over.

hold on to that headrush. they're going up in value.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Originally posted by exhausted
    hold on to that headrush. they're going up in value.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    Delay
    Wow, look how many agree!

Delays are very nice but for Sonic Youth/Radiohead a phase is more what he's looking for.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    Originally posted by El_Kabong
    Delays are very nice but for Sonic Youth/Radiohead a phase is more what he's looking for.

Hmm, sonic youth. Grab a pawnshop Music Man amp a Pawnshop guitar maybe a distortion pedal and phaser. Shove a drumstick inbetween the two middle strings, bash away. Use another drumstick as a bow.

An old ibanez (maxon) chorus would be a good find.

For Radiohead, chain delays and distortions toegther and have fun.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    If you wanna sound like Radiohead save your money & you can get Jonny's delay board. Got a good look at it in Oct when I saw them. He has a regular pedal board & then also has a delay board. He has 12 DD-3s on it, then runs it in to a moog bass synth, then to a marshall 8 in baby amp. The other board runs to his sick collection of vox amps. That's all I can recommend for the Radiohead sound. As for the Sonic Youth sound, a really good tradional chorus pedal, not anything the has a vibe to it, & a small clean amp. Also for Sonic Youth, be prepared to come up with the most bizarre tunings you can think of.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    well not everybody can be surronded by gear and make it work really well like Jonny can...I have a few videos that have some great shots of his stuff...on the MTV2 $2 bill show there's a good passing overhead shot of both his and Ed's gear.

I know SY can do some odd things like the drum stick between the fretboard and strings...but overall on albums like 'daydream nation' and other ones you can hear more phase than delay.

There's a good EP of them in the Netherlands with the dutch band ICP (not the horrible 'rap' group, a dutch jazz band) and members of the dutch band the Ex. It's pretty interesting. Kind of reminds me of Bill Laswell stuff in a way.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • F buying a delay, just buy a multi-FX. It's got everything you want in one, wah's, fuzz's, delays, fazers, chorus, overdrive, etc. You can even buy them with expression pedals now. Theres lots of different brands, just go with the cheapest, wich is usually basic and only about 60 bucks if you buy it at musiciansfriend.com. If you like a certain effect type, and want more expression from it, then plop down the cash for it based on what you've learned from the multi-FX. But if you want to stick to single units, go with dunlop effects. They make good wahs, especially the new dimebag cry babies. And they make a line of Jimi Hendrix wah/fuzz's.
    Support you local anarchist
    the general path of evolution is that those that buy multi-fx usually end up unsatisfied with the sound of something trying to do too many things in one box and they end up buying individual pedals.
    the general path of evolution is that those that buy multi-fx usually end up unsatisfied with the sound of something trying to do too many things in one box and they end up buying individual pedals.

Bingo!
  • yeah probably so, but I'm poor. So I'll stick to trying them all out at one time before I waste my minimum wage buying an effect that sucks.
  • I have got a really awesome Hendrix Wah Wah though. You guys should try it out. And does anyone know what that new DOD grunge pedal sounds like?
    Originally posted by anarchRist_14
    yeah probably so, but I'm poor. So I'll stick to trying them all out at one time before I waste my minimum wage buying an effect that sucks.

we're all poor dude. I'm currently selling to buy.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    we're all poor dude. I'm currently selling to buy.

it's the only way to fly!!!
    still haven't heard from Fatsound on the Little Lanilei Reverb.
    waiting to hear if they have one or how much they want for it?
    to hear if they still have it. They want $120 for it.

Only $165 for a used Clone Chorus too.
    LLR is sold. Damnit. I knew it was too good to be true.
  • low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    if you can find one, try a danelectro dan-echo. it's digital but emulates analog very well. they're discontinued now so stores may be clearning them out.

the boss DD's are extremely sterile and lifeless in my opinion.

I agree with you on the BOSS DD series. I have come to the conclusion that my DD-6 is a piece of shit. $149 lesson learened. I always used a Dan Electro Echo before... cheap and the fucker could reproduce analog great. I used to do "the edge" type echos with that thing. Im beating myself over the head now.

-david
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    I know how that feels... a Blackface Twin RI is available second-hand in a store nearby... 1100 instead of 1700 bucks. And in a month, when selling my old amp, I'll have that amount of money... I'm sure it will be gone when I am rich enough. Ah well, I'll settle with a silverface..
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Originally posted by exhausted

Any multi-FX unit I ever heard sounded like angry mosquitoes at a Cher concert. I avoid them like the plague...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758

But for someone just starting multi-effects are a good way to go. They cost about as much as a regular effect and I know I don't have my first effect purchased. It gives them a sense of what certain effects sound like. For people who have been playing a while and everything I'd say stay away.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    Originally posted by GlorifiedG
    But for someone just starting multi-effects are a good way to go. They cost about as much as a regular effect and I know I don't have my first effect purchased. It gives them a sense of what certain effects sound like. For people who have been playing a while and everything I'd say stay away.

THis is a good statement. THey are great tools for learning what things do and help you find your sound. Later when you realize you don't need 40 types of modulation at once you can pick the one or two sounds that you really love and use and expand from that. Good idea.