Bass through guitar amp

stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi!

I'm playing guitar, but dealing with the idea to learn some Bass too. If I'm going to buy one, I want to spend my money on something not too shitty, but not too expensive. E.g. a MIM Fender P Bass. The thing is...do I really have to buy a dedicated Bass amp too?! I'm not playing gigs, only in my room if that matters. How well can guitar amps handle the low tones?
I want to replace my current guitar amp and I'm thinking of getting a used "Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10". Any comments on this amp. Would it handle a Bass?

Thanks.
Steve
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, you can play any electric instrument through any amplifier, pretty much. The thing with playing bass through a guitar amp is that most guitar amps aren't built to handle the frequency and punch of a bass guitar. You'd want to start at low volumes, keep the bass EQ down a bit.

Now, the specific amp you mention is an interesting case... you could most definitely play a bass through that, just for in-bedroom practicing. That amp is based loosely on the 1959 Fender Bassman, which was originally designed as a bass amp. I probably wouldn't gig with that amp, but hell, you could in a pinch. It's big enough that it can handle the job. Just be careful! Really listen to the speakers... if you hear them flubbing a bit, back it off. Don't want to tear a cone or knock a voice-coil outta whack.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • bassman1bassman1 Posts: 1
    Dude, bass through a guitar amp doesn't sound good at all. It will make a nice sounding bass sound too trebly/mid-y, nasily. You also run the risk of rupturing your speakers in your amp, so I would advise either keeping it at a very low volume, or just getting together the cash to buy a proper practice bass amp. Bass through a guitar amp=waste of time.
    bassman1