electro harmonix american made big muff pi fuzz

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
its got Big Muff written on it.

what do you guys think of it?
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i used to have one. it does what it's supposed to. it's a high gain fuzz with lots of bottom end and sustain for days. the build quality was ok for an inexpensive pedal and it had true bypass which gave it a big leg up on the russian versions.

the russian ones sounded different though and choice is left to personal preference though.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    i used to have one. it does what it's supposed to. it's a high gain fuzz with lots of bottom end and sustain for days. the build quality was ok for an inexpensive pedal and it had true bypass which gave it a big leg up on the russian versions.

the russian ones sounded different though and choice is left to personal preference though.

I actually dig the ruskie ones too, I just wish they had metal jacks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Yah,

I bought one to be my primary pedal, this was a big mistake. They are kinda cool but do one thing and one thing only.
    I ended up never using mine and sold it.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Yah,

I bought one to be my primary pedal, this was a big mistake. They are kinda cool but do one thing and one thing only.
    I ended up never using mine and sold it.
    what do you mean one thing.. and how would you say it did this one thing? (good or bad)

"Make our day"
  • corduroycorduroy Posts: 117
    it's perfect if you're looking for the Mudhoney sound. I love mine!
    1994 - Cleveland, 1998 - Cleveland, 2000 - Columbus, 2003 - Cleveland/Columbus, 2006 - Cleveland, 2009 - Philly 1, 2010 - Columbus/Cleveland, 2013 - Pittsburgh/Buffalo, 2014 - Cincy/Detroit, 2016-Lexington/Wrigley #1, 2018- Fenway 1, 2022-Nashville, 2024-Seattle1/Noblesville/Baltimore
  • What I mean by one thing is that it can pretty much only be used for single note riffs. Or chords that are cut short, like power chords. You can't play too many strings at once cause the thing muddies up so fast. Like open or full bar chords are out of the question.

An example of what it does really well is something like fuckin up. It can make the fuckin up riff sound wicked.

I heard someone say the other day that it buries any special tonal qualities your guitar may have. I agree with this. Like honestly the thing didn't even sound that different when used with humbuckers or single coil, cause the fuzz is so drowning.

But say you were recording an album of 15 songs, you would probably only use this pedal a couple of times. LIke maybe for 1 certain song. Unless your name is billy corgan, then youd use it for every song but one :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • What I mean by one thing is that it can pretty much only be used for single note riffs. Or chords that are cut short, like power chords. You can't play too many strings at once cause the thing muddies up so fast. Like open or full bar chords are out of the question.

An example of what it does really well is something like fuckin up. It can make the fuckin up riff sound wicked.

I heard someone say the other day that it buries any special tonal qualities your guitar may have. I agree with this. Like honestly the thing didn't even sound that different when used with humbuckers or single coil, cause the fuzz is so drowning.

But say you were recording an album of 15 songs, you would probably only use this pedal a couple of times. LIke maybe for 1 certain song. Unless your name is billy corgan, then youd use it for every song but one :)
    thank you!

one more question..

would you recommend buying this pedal or something else rather?

i play lead guitars.

"Make our day"
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Jack White uses his a lot... and i think Hendrix used to play with one!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • this pedal is awesome!!!
    i think its fine for barre chords but for open chords you will have to turn down the input on it otherwise yes it will sound muddy. also because it uses so much gain any contact with your guitar will make a noise through your amplifier. im very happy with it though.
  • Sweet jesus this thread is old.

I ended up buying one and not digging it so I sold it. I think I may have bought my Boss DD6 instead.. maybe.. it was so long ago fuck if I know.

I've matured as a guitar player and my taste has grown increasingly heavy in how I choose to play (smashing pumpkins-like..) so I've been really considering buying some sort of big muff.. maybe a vintage one like Corgan uses (though he's apparently got loads of them..).

"Make our day"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Sweet jesus this thread is old.

I ended up buying one and not digging it so I sold it. I think I may have bought my Boss DD6 instead.. maybe.. it was so long ago fuck if I know.

I've matured as a guitar player and my taste has grown increasingly heavy in how I choose to play (smashing pumpkins-like..) so I've been really considering buying some sort of big muff.. maybe a vintage one like Corgan uses (though he's apparently got loads of them..).

http://www.skreddypedals.com see MAYO.

listen to the clips.

if you are looking for more of a gilmore triangle knob sound he's got a new one called Pink Flesh.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Sweet jesus this thread is old.

that'd be my fault :D

i did a search on the pedal... i never even checked the date :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    The USA Muff is a staple on John Frusciante's board. I'd recommend the Little Big Muff, as it's a lot smaller, less expensive, and die cast metal (not the flimsy aluminum-like metal that EHX uses on a lot of their older pedals). I've read that it sounds the same.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?