analog vs digital delays

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
whats the difference?
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Analog is less precise, and has warmth... some feel it's more organic sounding.

Digital is accurate, but bright... some feel it's brittle.

Tape delay is a whole other world... very warm, but dark, and high maintenance. Not amazingly precise.

Meet the monkeys:

Analog delay:
    Imagine a line of laid back, hippy monkeys, each with a guitar just like yours. They're sitting on little stools in a cunning arrangement such that each monkey can only hear the monkey sat before him. The first monkey hears what you played, turns to the next monkey and plays it back to him. He then turns, and plays to the next monkey. At each stage, little mistakes are introduced due to the hippy monkeys' inherent laid-back-ness. At the end, the last monkey plays, and his guitar is connected to the output.

The monkeys are in a big big circle, and the first monkey, as well as hearing what you're playing, can also hear the last monkey - but not very well. There's a baffle between them, which cuts down how much he can hear. The first monkey plays both what you're playing and what he can hear of what the last monkey is playing, and this is passed on as before.

Now imagine the monkeys are tiny, as before, with tiny guitars and tiny stools and a tiny baffle. They're in a box. A knob labelled “feedback” controls the baffle. Then, kapoosh! The monkeys disappear and are replaced by a Bucket Brigade chip, and off we go.

Digital delay:
    Exactly the same as analog delay, but there are many more monkeys, and they're all actuaries and very precise. Some people miss the laid-back-ness of the hippy monkeys, but many like knowing that little actuary monkeys are taking very good care of what they're playing. Some of the monkeys know special tricks, like making what they play come out of the output even though they're not the last monkey.

*courtesy of http://www.analogman.com/monkey.htm
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Now.
    having come in to work at 5 in the freaking morning, that made my day.
    Bless you, and bless analogman for that great little piece.
    (and also for the mod on my TS9, yey!)

A WORD OF WARNING:

YOU SHOULD NEVER ACTUALY GET A MONKEY HIGH!!!
    Even if they do have guitars and dreadlocks.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • somewhat related:

anyone know what a boss dm-3 is fetching on ebay these days?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • somewhat related:

anyone know what a boss dm-3 is fetching on ebay these days?
    usually around 2 bills.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • usually around 2 bills.

thanks, one more: does the green label on the underside of the pedal denote that it's made in japan?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • thanks, one more: does the green label on the underside of the pedal denote that it's made in japan?
    i couldn't tell ya for sure...i'm sure MIG or Paco or Ex could give you a definitely answer, but i think on most Boss pedals the Japaneese models have black labels.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV