3 questions for effects buffs

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
1.) i hate the big muff. i want a warm, nice sounding distortion or overdrive or something to step my sound up. nothing boxy and mechanical like the big muff. suggestions?

2 and 3 ) What do Rotospheres and Rotovibes do?
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    1.) i hate the big muff. i want a warm, nice sounding distortion or overdrive or something to step my sound up. nothing boxy and mechanical like the big muff. suggestions?

2 and 3 ) What do Rotospheres and Rotovibes do?

1. what kind of amp are you trying to push? I have different likes for different amps.

2 and 3. They ar effects which attempt to recreate the doppler effect...more commonly referenced as a "leslie" sound. A Leslie is a cabinet that contains spinning speakers and is used with Hammond organs like the B-3.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    1. what kind of amp are you trying to push? I have different likes for different amps.

2 and 3. They ar effects which attempt to recreate the doppler effect...more commonly referenced as a "leslie" sound. A Leslie is a cabinet that contains spinning speakers and is used with Hammond organs like the B-3.
    ah okay thanks.

i have a Fender FM212R 100watt.

and if it matters i play an Epiphone les paul studio.

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Hmmm...humbuckers...do you want more of an overdriven sound, or a fuzz sound. The muff is a fuzz. If I were you, I would look at the Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Gives you two gain stages :)
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Hmmm...humbuckers...do you want more of an overdriven sound, or a fuzz sound. The muff is a fuzz. If I were you, I would look at the Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Gives you two gain stages :)
    thank you very much :)

yes i want an overdrive sound thats right.

after closer careful inspection.. fucking around with settings and pedal order.. i actually quite like the muff... i dont think i'm going to return it... but i still want a quality overdrive, so thanks :cool:

i also just got a Boss Compressor sustainer CS3. i loooooove it.

"Make our day"
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,112
    i have a rotosphere and it has 2 different speeds. i got it on the cheep at a pawn shop. i use it on a slow setting on a clean channel and it creates a nice thick chorusy sound, with distortion it gives a kind of delay effect.....i use it mainly on the fast setting to play solos like the one in smells like teen spirit (any live version you have ever heard is a good example) , even though kurt used a univibe, same type of effect........IMHO, the rotosphere is not worth the $400 since it only does one thing...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If the Big Muff is your only gain pedal (overdrive, distortion, fuzz) it's terrible.

But it's a great second or third pedal for moments of sonic insanity. Don't sell it, just ADD to it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/newpedals.php

There are all sorts of great overdrives here, look around, listen to clips etc.

I also like the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 because the mid switch provides a little flexibility.

Currently I use a Barber Direct Drive because it fits very well with my amp. If you can get a Direct Drive SS or a new direct drive, or even an LTD I believe they all have a bass control so you can tune it to your amp.

The BJFE Baby Blue Overdrive is also a gem.

Or you can stick with the seasick green paint, and get someones TS-9 or TS-808 copy. Most will suit you well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.