"Floating-tremelo"

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
What is it?

It's an alternate, 'fancy' way of adjusting your tremelo bar i know.. but...

how do you do it?

What does it accomplish?

etc..
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    those springs in the back counteract the tension of the strings. so you could adjust it somewhat by adjusting the position of the claw holding the springs. there is sort of an optimum position though and you'd adjust the claw based on different string gauges/tunings etc.

i always block the tremolo though because i hate the tuning instability.
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    What is it?

how do you do it?

What does it accomplish?

etc..
    What guitar have you got?A strat?If so its a tricky thing to get right if you're not sure take it to your local shop and get someone to do it for you.I messed around for a while to get my strat tune stay in tune when i made the trem float.I found that if you move to 2 outer springs inward on the claw like this /\
    that helps and your nut needs to be properly filed too so none of the strings stick.You also need to check your intonation.
    Cornell pwns u
    i forgot to say that "floating" means that you can pull up on the trem aswell as pushing down.The trem floats because it is pivoted against the 2 screws that go into the guitars body
    Cornell pwns u
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    What is it?

how do you do it?

What does it accomplish?

etc..

A floating tremolo is when you can bend your floyd-rose system up and down..I have it on my guitar and I hate it..Makes the guitar go out of tune after one song,and I never use it.. I would prefer a system where you can only bend down...Jackson DK2 has a floating tremolo...
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
    E.Bloom wrote:
    A floating tremolo is when you can bend your floyd-rose system up and down..I have it on my guitar and I hate it..Makes the guitar go out of tune after one song,and I never use it.. I would prefer a system where you can only bend down...Jackson DK2 has a floating tremolo...
    there must be something wrong with your set up on that guitar.I used to have an Ibanez with a floyd rose years ago and you could go mad with it and it never went out of tune.
    Cornell pwns u
  • Screw a floating tremelo, go with a bigbsy! Sure that had absoulutely nothing to do with what you were asking, I just figured I make a quick comment.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Screw a floating tremelo, go with a bigbsy! Sure that had absoulutely nothing to do with what you were asking, I just figured I make a quick comment.
    ha!now they Do go out of tune:)
    Cornell pwns u
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    MetalGod75 wrote:
    i forgot to say that "floating" means that you can pull up on the trem aswell as pushing down.The trem floats because it is pivoted against the 2 screws that go into the guitars body

Exactly, The Floyd Rose setup is often configured in a floating manner.

The Ibanez Jem (Steve Vai) has this set up with a pronounced cavity in order to utilize this more effectively.

Parker Guitars also uses a floating system where you can pull up the pitch as well as drop it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MetalGod75 wrote:
    ha!now they Do go out of tune:)

I've never had the major problems with those, as I've heard others having.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    MetalGod75 wrote:
    there must be something wrong with your set up on that guitar.I used to have an Ibanez with a floyd rose years ago and you could go mad with it and it never went out of tune.

I think that is very individual from guitar to guitar if you don`t have guitar in the upper price range..The "fake" floyd rose systems have very different quality..One of my friends got the same gutiar,and doesn`t have a problem..
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • That article in the david gilmour dvd thread went into some detail of how David fought that tuning problem. i wasn't really paying attention to that part though... might want to read it yourselves ;)

"Make our day"
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    a Floyd Rose is your prototypical floating tremelo. Most guitars with a FR, are slightly bored out behind the bridge to allow the tremolo to float. I think they work fine but are a bit of a pain to tune once you change strings. Once it's dialed in, it stays pretty much in tune. Most have fine tuning knobs which help. They allow you to do all kinds of bar tricks. The big drawback is they lose a lot of sustain and some tone compared to a fixed bridge.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • My Am strat is some kind of custom(i got it off ebay) and it has tuner locks so I can do whatever I want with the tremelo bar and it won't come out of tune. It's not even a floyd rose. It's awesome.
  • My Am strat is some kind of custom(i got it off ebay) and it has tuner locks so I can do whatever I want with the tremelo bar and it won't come out of tune. It's not even a floyd rose. It's awesome.
    ooo0o0o0ooo :cool:

"Make our day"
  • ooo0o0o0ooo :cool:

:D

!@#$%^&