MXR phase 90

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i hear a lot of chatter about this..

tell me..

Is it worth the money?

what exactly can it do, and how often does mike use it?.. i kind of know what it does and i think i can tell where mike uses it.. but i have a feeling he uses it a lot more than i think...

How much did you pay for yours?
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/151100/

a very cheap pedal (69.99) that can be easily improved on I hear.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/151100/

a very cheap pedal (69.99) that can be easily improved on I hear.
    What do you mean by improved on?

"Make our day"
  • What do you mean by improved on?
    see the thread i just posted 20 seconds ago :).
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=133908

the mod is super easy...and a big improvement.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • oh yeah, and the pedal itself is great. Very cheap, and built very solid. Straight forward phaser that you'll find on damn near every player's board.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • thanks!

I think i'm going to add that and a Fender blender (most likely) to my set up which is lacking any type of fuzz or phase.

"Make our day"
  • thanks!

I think i'm going to add that and a Fender blender (most likely) to my set up which is lacking any type of fuzz or phase.
    nice choice on the Phase 90...i doubt you'll be dissapointed.

and let us know your review on the blender...i've had the itch to try one of those out as well since my board is lacking a fuzz as well.

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395

I've got one in decent condition I'll sell you. PM if interested.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I've got one in decent condition I'll sell you. PM if interested.
    check for it :cool:

"Make our day"
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    iirc it's what sonic youth uses as well as a lot of others...i considered getting one when i was lookging for a phase but got a Prophecy Sounds infinitphase, instead

http://www.prophecysound.com/
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • stupid question time...difference between a phaser and vibe pedal?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Van Halen is probably the most famous endorser. He uses it when he's tapping and for divebombs.
  • i hear a lot of chatter about this..

tell me..

Is it worth the money?

what exactly can it do, and how often does mike use it?.. i kind of know what it does and i think i can tell where mike uses it.. but i have a feeling he uses it a lot more than i think...

How much did you pay for yours?

Yeah how often does he use it? ex. of songs??
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    stupid question time...difference between a phaser and vibe pedal?

well, i'm by far a technical expert on these matters but i believe a phase is just that, it phases the sound... a vibe uses phasing to make it sound like it's swirling like a rotating spearker box or leslie....this is a good site, if you click on manufacturers you can get reviews and such on their different effects

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Is phase 90 true bypass? If not does it really kill ur tone?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Is phase 90 true bypass? If not does it really kill ur tone?
    pretty sure that it's not true bypass. Either way my tone doesn't suffer at all.

• Yeah how often does he use it? ex. of songs??
    Pearl Jam doesn't use phasers a whole lot. Mike during the intro to given to fly (studio version) is using his phase 90. Otherwise, Mike and Stone use it sparingly in live performances...just listen for it.

• "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

Cool quote. I think this is how every player should view music. IT just inspired me to go and play.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Is phase 90 true bypass? If not does it really kill ur tone?

here's the thing. my phase 90, when bypassed and with power disconnected, continues to pass signal with no problems. which is sort of the first test for true bypass. so i *think* it's the same type of bypass as a proco rat. regardless, it's a good bypass on the reissue and doesn't kill tone.
  • I recently got a new MXR phase 100 off of ebay for $82 with shipping. I think it is awesome and really helps you get that McCready tone through a Marshall. It's a little more versatile than the 90, which is why I went with it. I recommend it.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I love mine. I originally had it in the same sequence as Mike, but I recently changed my set up, and have my phase 90 right after my distortion and right before my EQ, and it really rings through. It's perfect and easy to use, with the single speed knob.

Go get it now!
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you