"Daughter" from Live on 2 legs...

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay..

i swear to god..

there are 3 guitars at the end of this version..

mike is doing sound effects kind of like feedback in the background..

Stone is banging away with the acoustic simulator..

Did Eddie whip out a guitar to make those Whale noises?

and if so.. i've never heard Ed use a delay pedal which is clearly being used for those 'whales'.

this has always bugged me.
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sounds to me that Ed is doing whale noises with his voice...
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • Sounds to me that Ed is doing whale noises with his voice...
    i know he's doing other things with his voice.. but theres no way the whales are his voice...

this theory is especially tempting since that was in 1998 when they did the whale song (i think thats the right year.. ? )

"Make our day"
  • There's one part where there is a low moan, which is definately Ed's voice, but the rest of the whale noises is weird. I bet Jack had something to do with it. Maybe a sampler or something like that. Maybe Mike was using a delay function to do the feedback and then all the other stuff.

I do this sometimes with my Delay pedal. You set it to hold mode and play a riff or whatever, hold it down and it will loop what you played, and you can do other stuff while it's looping.

Nah, really I don't have a clue.

:)
  • It sounds human with a lot of effects to me (I could be wrong)...
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • Its not looping because i think Mike would have to play the bit at least once before it loops and the two supposed parts he's playing are coming with new stuff each time.

Its definettttly not a voice.. (although Eddie is doing dome crazy stuff with the vocals at the same time)

it sounds like it should be someone scraping a slide carefully over the pickups.. or maybe some kind of e-bow trick (which would completely point to Eddie).

It could be Jack i suppose.. but i've never heard them use samples have you?

this is mind boggling :confused:

"Make our day"
  • Matt Cameron was the drummer at that time.......i'm sure it was mike using delay/echo loop effects..........trey from phish does that alot where he gets a sound to loop thru the whole song and he plays other shit over it
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • definitely Mike messing around with his delays.

Possibly Mike using a slide (mixed with delay) and sliding it up by the pickups to give it a high pitch?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • but how is it that Mike can do feedback loops and whale noises at the same time?

maybe i need to listen closer,.. thats the conclusion i've come to before,... but i don't know how he can loop the feedback at the same time he's making whale noises..

"Make our day"
  • i'd bet its mike, he seems to like making whale-type noises.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Is it possible that he looped the feedback and then made the whale noises. I don't think that Mike loops anything though.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Maybe they just had the sound guy add the whale noises directly into the board?

:)
  • Maybe..

If Mike was doing what we seem to think he was doing,.. using a slide above the pickups to create the whales,.. then can he create feedback at the same time?

and even if he could.. the way that feedback changed it has to have been controlled by someone...

:confused:

"Make our day"
  • no offense, but your putting way too much thought into this
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young