Dave Grohl chews gum while singing..

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
and always has... and still does...

any idea why? :confused:
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Strange, how can he keep it in there, he's always screaming his head off.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • maybe that's his one way of relaxing or should i say exercising his jaw?

i really don't know....
    "i forgot the words...."
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Maybe it helps with the smoking cravings. This is just a guess I really don't know. I find it hilarious that the 2 times I have seen him and the few dvd's I have seen, he chews gum non stop while singing.. I have not seen any other artist do this.
    Regardless though, the Foos are a great live band. there up there with Pearl jam in my eyes, I'll see both of these bands every chance I get.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    Jimi hendrix did as well
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    but when does dave grohl not chew gum, everytime I see him, "chomp chomp chomp, I think this chomp record is chomp maybe our best chomp"
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • He always seems to be chewing yes.. even at the end of the D.O.A. video..

huge grin on his face staring at the camera... *chomp chomp chomp*

but do you think maybe there is a reason he (and apparently Jimi) didn't spit it out before singing?

seems like a burdensome thing.. must be a purpose..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    I chew when i am playing, chewing gum helps my concentration and kinda keeps me focused. Maybe thats it.
  • I read in Rolling Stone a few years back that he does it to keep the saliva flowing in his mouth. He said all the screaming tends to dry him out...or something along those lines.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I read in Rolling Stone a few years back that he does it to keep the saliva flowing in his mouth. He said all the screaming tends to dry him out...or something along those lines.

My mouth gets really dry when I sing, that's the first thing I thought of. Helps keep your mouth wet so you don't sound all scratchy.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I hope he doesn't inhale it someday - that'd be scary.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    I read in Rolling Stone a few years back that he does it to keep the saliva flowing in his mouth. He said all the screaming tends to dry him out...or something along those lines.
    i heard the exact same thing
  • leethal wrote:
    Jimi hendrix did as well

Hendrix always chewed gum according to most stories. It was habitual.

I do the same thing myself with my band when I sing. I just chew gum out of habit...and because I can't stand a bad taste at any time.

Grohl probably does it for the same reason.