Flender!

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
It got here a few days ago (the thing was backordered until god knows when...).

I absolutley love it.

i talked to a guy working at a music shop in Raliegh about it awhile back and told him something Billy Corgan said... "it can go anywhere from tearing your head off to subtle effects" (or something to that extent). He told me Billy was insane..

obviously that guy had never played said pedal...

because it actually can add some very nice, subtle fuzz.... and it sure as hell can rip your head off.

bad things about it:

- Easily the worst thing about it is that the guitar and amp inputs are switched... so until i get a couple of longer cords i have to stick it in my pedal line backwards (all i have are the little pedal-to-pedal connectors right now).

- if you turn the blend knob passed 5 or so and try to play chords you won't be able to really make out what the notes are... but applied to lead playing that amazing fuzz is awesome :cool:

- you can't seperate the octave and fuzz effect. If they had made it with separate knobs to blend the fuzz and octave in it would have been basically perfect. - in other words, you can't have just the octave or just the fuzz.

those are really the only things i have to complain about them... not really terrible things.. just annoying.

they added the DC power which is great too.

overall, i give it a 4 out of 5 star rating... would have been 5 if complaint #3 was fixed.
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• so uh i had it on my xmas list, should i keep it there?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • "- if you turn the blend knob passed 5 or so and try to play chords you won't be able to really make out what the notes are... but applied to lead playing that amazing fuzz is awesome "

This is in my experience, the problem with all fuzz. My Big Muff had the same problem. Notice alot of pumpkins songs have single note or at max 2 note (at a time) riffs. So not chords.
    Chords played with a fuzz need to be deadened to be used effectively. Well I am sure broken social scene could find a use for sustained fuzzed out chords :)
    But I found when I had my fuzz I could make power chords sound good if used them in a punchy way.

I am interested in the flender a bit. I wonder what exactly the octave sounds like. It seems to me NAIS is a bad example of this pedal. The song has a sweet tone and maybe is a good example of the subtle use of the pedal, but I wonder how it sounds all out.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    "-
    Chords played with a fuzz need to be deadened to be used effectively. Well I am sure broken social scene could find a use for sustained fuzzed out chords :)

Broken Social Scene could use any instrument or effect and put out a great album...
  • are there any soundbites for this
    i was thinking about getting an MXR micro amp
    but these sound sick.

doesent mike use it on NAIS
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • "doesent mike use it on NAIS"

Mike actually uses a "Fender Blender" But this is a copy of that in a better enclosure. Mike uses it in a very subtle way as far as I can tell. It is a Fuzz pedal after all, and NAIS is not too fuzzy.
  • oh i thought that was what gave him that NAIS tone
    what effect does he use?
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • pearljam7 wrote:
    oh i thought that was what gave him that NAIS tone
    what effect does he use?

he uses the Fender Blender as his distortion sound which gives that awsome tone which i am going to try to conquer once i get the pedal but he also uses delay to it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • "oh i thought that was what gave him that NAIS tone
    what effect does he use?"

Yah he does use it to get that tone.
    I was just saying he uses it subtley, as apposed to billy corgan who does not use a fuzz subtley at all.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    there is a video clip available at http://www.musictoyz.com

Thanks for the info, sounds like it does it's trick very well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Joe: Yes, absolutley keep it on your christmas list :)

NAIS (and all the sound clips online i've found) aren't really great samples of this pedal...

a better example would be certain versions of Slunk by Smashing Pumpkins ... or any number of other songs Billy whipped it out on.

i turned the overdrive on my fender amp up to ten and turned all the flender knobs to ten as well the other day.. it sounded like.. if someone had cut off the devil's head with a lawnmower.. maybe.. crazy crazy crazy fucked up sound. :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • "Broken Social Scene could use any instrument or effect and put out a great album..."

Hey Wes have you heard the new album? Its insane... I just picked it up the other day.