ibanez analog delay

Pearl Jam and toastPearl Jam and toast Posts: 4,475
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
is it worth my tax return?
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    is it worth my tax return?

I have the Maxon AD-9 and I love it. Just my two cents.
  • I have an old one and I love it. It's my favorite delay.
    I haven't tried the reissued one.
    I would try it if you can, and play with the repeats and listen to the decay. That's the key to me. If you're used to clean digital delays, then you might not like the way this muddies up. I like muddy, though. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

that being said, on the gear page you can find reissues for around $100 used, sometimes less than that.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • It should be fine. I don't think the reissues are the best, but most of the time with delays, you usually just have one setting and use it all the time (I know I do!).

A lot of the time, especially when playing live and loud, the subtle differences between the original and the reissue won't really be noticeable. I do know the Maxon AD9 kicks serious ass, but it costs about 4 times as much as the Ibanez.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I do know the Maxon AD9 kicks serious ass, but it costs about 4 times as much as the Ibanez.

Thank the powers that be for eBay! I got mine for about 1/3rd off retail.
  • moster78 wrote:
    Thank the powers that be for eBay! I got mine for about 1/3rd off retail.

That's awesome. I saw a used original in town for close to $500.

I could buy a guitar for that. Not worth it.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    They are all real nice, but honestly, depending on what other effects you're using, I don't know that it'll make a difference (will you really hear a difference).

I have a lot of vintage gear, and I've recorded with everything - honestly you'd be hard pressed to be able to tell what I used from recording to recording..

*I've used BOSS, Line-6 DL4, and E-H delays for years, and they're all a bit more practical than breaking out my Echoplex (not to mention risking something happening to that at a gig).
    The Best thing to do for yourself is to just A/B as many different delays at your local music store, and decide what you like best.

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫