Options

Ibanez RG or Fender Strat?

Ed Vedder10PJamEd Vedder10PJam Posts: 2
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm in a bit of a quandry right now. I'm stuck between buying an Ibanez RG350DX or saving up to get an American Series Fender Strat. I love both of them and its hard. Any suggestions?
SCHFIFTY FIVE!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    whichever one feels and sounds better to you.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by exhausted
    whichever one feels and sounds better to you.

What he said...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    you are kidding, right?

get the fender.........................
  • Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    All though "get whatever sounds best to you" sounds all nice and shiny...get the fender are you nuts!! Ibanez seems to be a fad guitar. When did everyone start buying them? When stores started carrying them. And when did that happen? When Nickelback started playing them among others....OUCH.

Well ignore my previous comments if they sound crazy and save up for some quality stratification.

BTW, honestly if I was ever gonna buy a non fender (tele man myself) it would be a gibson SG. Then the schecter PT is great for the price and plays just about everything.
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • Options
    It's just that I see Steve Vai and Satch playing them and I thought Ibanez would be a cool guitar but if all that you guys say about Fender is true then screw Ibanez, I'll get the strat.
    SCHFIFTY FIVE!!!
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    other than me and mig, everyone is basing their answers on image, which is kinda silly b/c if you may end up with a guitar that doesn't fit you as well. and that simply leads to not playing your best.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Ibanez's are great guitars. The JS1000 (Joe Satriani's guitar) is exactly the same as his. The necks are carved on an extremely precise computer controlled laithe so that all the dents scrapes and iregularites of Satches favorite neck are in every single guitar. He can literally walk into a store pick up his guitar and it's exactly the same as his stage rig. The RG's are wonderful working man's guitars. I personally cannot stand Floyd Rose trems because of the maintence however they will keep the damn thing in tune no matter what. whether you bend up or down. They also have excellent p/u's. I believe they are still made in Japan in amazingly clean factories to very precise standards. If it feels good to you and it looks good buy it they are built very well. I'm pretty sure Satch and Steve Vai have played nearly every guitar in existance they wouldn't endorse them if they weren't any good. Both those guys are well paid.

It's all on you here. Stratocasters are among my favorite guitars ever but it dosen't mean they are you're favorite. If you want. AB the RG. I can't remember whether or not the RG has coil taps to get single coil tone or not but again I can't tell you which one to get. Play them both and then agonise over it. Comfort is comfort It has to fit your body, that's why I really like the JS-1000's or other S series Ibanez's they fit me better.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    other than me and mig, everyone is basing their answers on image, which is kinda silly b/c if you may end up with a guitar that doesn't fit you as well. and that simply leads to not playing your best.

Yeah...

My first guitar was a Strat. I loved the look and feel, very playable (especially after a full set-up at the local guitar shop) but it never sounded right... I played it for years, got used to it, and always got great compliments on how she looked. Then one day I fell in love with a Les Paul at a music store on spring break. Even though it drained every drop of money I had, I bought it on the last day I was there, and took it home with me. But everyone made fun of me because it said "Epiphone" on the headstock. I didn't care, because it played great and sounded awesome.

Four years ago, I would've told you flat-out to get the Fender. I still sit here feeling like you probably should get the Fender... the alternative seems tailored to metal, and do we really have metal players here? There are some Ibanez guitars that are great for all-around rock (Artcore hollow-body, some of the Strat copies, and the double-cut) and they have some specialty guitars (anything with a Floyd Rose is a metal guitar, and they have what looks like a Jack White special model). Trust me, they do well at what they do.

The best option is the blind taste-test... blindfold yourself, and have someone hand you both guitars... whichever feels, plays, and sounds better on the whole is the one for you. If you want to look legit up on stage, get a Fender, because so many people are playing a Fender... me, I'd rather sound good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    The JS1000 (Joe Satriani's guitar) is exactly the same as his. The necks are carved on an extremely precise computer controlled laithe so that all the dents scrapes and iregularites of Satches favorite neck are in every single guitar. He can literally walk into a store pick up his guitar and it's exactly the same as his stage rig.

That reminds me... My friend got a job working quality-control at the Peavey factory a couple years ago. He told me some stories about Eddie Van Halen and his stuff (the Wolfgang and the 5150/5150 II amps and cabinets). They would take random units off the line to send to him, as per the agreement with his company, "5150," and ship them to him to fill his needs. He would inspect them personally, and if they didn't meet his standards (workability, fit and finish, cosmetics, as well as sound) then he would videotape himself sawing them apart with a chainsaw and send it back to the factory...