Beginner at a loss...

Riot_RainRiot_Rain Posts: 348
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So my guitar arrived today (bought it on eBay). I am an absolute beginner...

Was tuning it, all fine and dandy, when all of a sudden the high e was loose. It was still going through the hole at the top, but wasn't wrapped around it anymore... I guess the string wasn't put on quite right (I have tuned guitars before ;) ) Is there any way I can fix this without buying new strings? Probably not?

Have looked at previous threads and know about several stringing techniques now, but can't start as I don't have a winder-thingy yet.

Any pointers would be appreciated! I was so excited about starting to play and now this has happened! Very frustrating!

Thanks! :D
Like a cloud dropping rain
I'm discarding all thought
I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
I'm like an opening band for the sun
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Is there enough curly string leftover to put it through the post? Not sure of the tuner or what guitar you have, but sometimes if you have enough for a couple of wraps around the tuning post, you can try this:

Pull the string straight through the hole in the post.
    Then back it up two inches, or whatever you have left, so the string is loose.
    Crimp the string upwards where it comes out of the post.
    then tighten the tuner so the first wrap goes over the hole in the post and over the crimped upward end, then the next wraps go under. Keep tension on it while you're doing it. This may lock it on.
    It's pretty awkward when you have a curlycue bunch of string leftover but it may get you through the show!, until you put a new set of strings on.

Hope you get a good day out of it and congratulations!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Is there enough curly string leftover to put it through the post? Not sure of the tuner or what guitar you have, but sometimes if you have enough for a couple of wraps around the tuning post, you can try this:

Pull the string straight through the hole in the post.
    Then back it up two inches, or whatever you have left, so the string is loose.
    Crimp the string upwards where it comes out of the post.
    then tighten the tuner so the first wrap goes over the hole in the post and over the crimped upward end, then the next wraps go under. Keep tension on it while you're doing it. This may lock it on.
    It's pretty awkward when you have a curlycue bunch of string leftover but it may get you through the show!, until you put a new set of strings on.

Hope you get a good day out of it and congratulations!

Thanks, I'll try that!!! :)
  • Riot_Rain wrote:
    Thanks, I'll try that!!! :)

I wish I had a picture to show you! That's a hard one to describe with words, but if you understood what the heck I wrote, then you'll get it! :)
    Be kind, man

I def got it and my g/f and I just put the string back on :) Don't think it'll last very long but hey! It'll do for now :):)

Might actually send it back to the shop altogether as it looks like all the strings have been put on a bit awkwardly... which may have something to do with the fact that I had to send it back before because the pickguard was warped... I think this shop is trying to dump a dodgy guitar on me!
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You don't need a string winder to replace your guitar strings.
    Using your fingers to turn the tuners will work just fine - it's what everyone used before the string winder :)
    A string winder just makes putting strings on faster, and not quite as tiring to your fingers and hand
    On a side note, I'd say probably close to 65% of people still use their fingers to do the winding, not a winder.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • If you bought your guitar on eBay, I recommend getting new strings for it anyway. What kind of guitar is it?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Oh, that guitar !!
    Well, yeah, sounds like they are taking advantage of your inexperieince. Personally, I would take it back, get your money back, then take friend who has some knowledge shopping for your next git.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Oh, that guitar !!
    Well, yeah, sounds like they are taking advantage of your inexperieince. Personally, I would take it back, get your money back, then take friend who has some knowledge shopping for your next git.

Hehehe! Well it was to be expected... It's a Squier Strat and it was (very!)cheap. I knew it was never going to be the best guitar on earth, but we can't afford anything else at the mo (my g/f bought it for me to cheer me up as I'm unemployed and going through a rough time). Decided to keep the guitar after all. I think we can manage with the strings and it now seems fine... If and when I upgrade I will def go to a real shop and take a friend!

I will also keep reading this board as it is an invaluable source of information, thanks for your help everyone! :D
  • I have had some serious stringing mishaps where the string does some rubbin on some fairly jagged parts of the guitar and have never have a string break in the place that it was bent or whatever
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Riot_Rain wrote:
    Hehehe! Well it was to be expected... It's a Squier Strat and it was (very!)cheap. I knew it was never going to be the best guitar on earth, but we can't afford anything else at the mo (my g/f bought it for me to cheer me up as I'm unemployed and going through a rough time). Decided to keep the guitar after all. I think we can manage with the strings and it now seems fine... If and when I upgrade I will def go to a real shop and take a friend!

I will also keep reading this board as it is an invaluable source of information, thanks for your help everyone! :D

My Strat Squier was my first guitar, and only guitar for a good 2-3 years when I first started out. It was perfect for me as a beginner. I still have it too...can't bear to part with it!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Riot_Rain wrote:
    I def got it and my g/f and I just put the string back on :) Don't think it'll last very long but hey! It'll do for now :):)

Might actually send it back to the shop altogether as it looks like all the strings have been put on a bit awkwardly... which may have something to do with the fact that I had to send it back before because the pickguard was warped... I think this shop is trying to dump a dodgy guitar on me!

I'm glad you got it done! Yup, they took the strings off when they replaced the pickguard and put the same ones back on, but not too well.
    Not worth it to send it back for. Get yourself a set of strings and learn how to put them on and you'll be fine. That's something you should know how to do anyway!
    Congrats on getting that E string on.
    That Squier should do you fine for now, and you can even upgrade pickups and tuners and hardware if you want, later on down the road.
    Have fun is the most important thing!
    Be kind, man