buying an acoustic online

loberg3loberg3 Posts: 16
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello, I have a couple quick questions. I am going to buy an acoustic soon(next week or so) I have around 500 to spend. I am going to go to the guitar center around town and look at different models. but my question is, if I find one that I like and then check online and its cheaper, will there be a big difference in the sound/tone of the guitar? I don't know how much sound can vary between 2 guitars of the same model and I don't want to find a guitar that I love only to buy one that I don't.

and my other question goes to whomever has built a guitar. I am thinking about starting a project but was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions for the parts. I want the tele bodys shape with nothing on the front exept 2 knobs and 1 switch - no pickguard and no color, just the woodgrain.

I did a search and came up with a few places, including warmoth and some others, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any other good places to order parts

thanks a bunch
graham
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    check out http://www.stewmac.com for all your building needs including several DIY books. Who's Pearljam (Bob) is an experienced builder.

As far as buing a guitar online, it's not the prefered method unless you know exactly what you want already because no guitar is perfect from the factory and it's nice to have it in your hand. However Musicians Friend has a 45 day return policy as far as I know, so if you get it and it's not what you want, you can send it back. So yeah if you know what you want, go for it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • paps005paps005 Posts: 4
    yea, if u know what u want musicians friend is a good site to go to
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The setup on a guitar bought online and shipped direct will be crap. You'd most likely want to take it in for a proper set-up anyways, so figure about $40 for that. Plus shipping and handling...

In the end, I'd find a guitar you want at a shop, go online and research the price, go back to the store and bargain with them, armed with the online catalog price. Just mention "Musician's Friend," it's like an instant 10% discount.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • jjimbeamjjimbeam Posts: 9
    I would stay away from buying new guitars online. If you find some really nice vintage it's worth the risk, but if not go to the store hold it in your hands and get the feel for it.
    www.ransomrock.com
    www.myspace.com/ransom
  • ShredShred Posts: 28
    there wont be any differnce at all from my experience.

if ur spending 500 on an acoustic no ones gonna have had a second look at it since it left the factory, and the factory will only set it up so it works.

however if u buy an expensive guitar e.g gibson les paul custom or PRS they leave the factory in A1 condition, set up with nothing needed to be done to it (apart from if u want to change sumthing for personal prefrence)

but this does not include les paul standards, yes they are hand made in the u.s.a but they wont be set up as lovley as a custom would of been, but it only costs £40 to get the guitar set up by a luthier urself anyway.
  • buy a takemine. just buy it at guitar center
    dont cry for me. im already dead.