Options

recording setup

ReverbReverb Posts: 34
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anybody have any thoughts on a (very) basic digital recording setup?

I'm strictly amateur and would love to use my PC to lay down some of my guitar tracks and play around with some bass/drum loops, but I dont want to waste money on crappy software/recorders/adaptors/etc that I dont need.

I've seen a quick garageband demo at an apple store which looked cool, just wondering if you guys have used this stuff and whether there is better software/eq out there to be had.

peace
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    myself, i don't know for sure but there are folks here that do. some of them may not be around until tonight so within a day or so i'm sure you'll get some good feedback.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com look around in the recording section and get a feel for it.

I'd go computer based right now because it's so cheap and easy.

I have a boss BR-532 that's great but If I were you I'd go to the computer.

A line 6 pod strait into an interface recording to hard disk is perfect.

You might want to warm it up with a tube pre amp.

Acid, Pro tools, Cubase all fine. Some people will tell you one is better than the other.

Cakewalk is pretty cheap but from what I understand It's a pain in the ass.

If I were you I'd get a preamp like a Line 6 pod over doing everything internally because its easier to tweek settings externally.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I JUST got a mac, and it has garage band in it. I don't know how to use it yet, but I'll fiddle with it tonight and let you know.
    I have to get my guitar into it somehow. It looks like a decent program.
    I am definitely NOT the resident computer genius, though!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    For just dickin' around, I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040205195324150131025144444043/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240868/

It's $200, and it gets you two mic preamps, two line-inputs, and it outputs to USB, so it's pretty compatible. Also included are Cubasis and GigaStudio software, and both are decent tools for messing around with. There are other USB recording options, and they're all worth looking into, this one just has the best price and good software.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    For just dickin' around, I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040205195324150131025144444043/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240868/

It's $200, and it gets you two mic preamps, two line-inputs, and it outputs to USB, so it's pretty compatible. Also included are Cubasis and GigaStudio software, and both are decent tools for messing around with. There are other USB recording options, and they're all worth looking into, this one just has the best price and good software.

I agree. Something like this is a great way to start....and it's portable which means you aren't always tied to your computer. I have a Zoom MRS-802 which is a slightly more expensive digital multi-track recorder, but the idea is the same. I use it a lot. In the past month and a half I have recorded a half dozen songs with multiple guitar parts. They are nothing fancy mind you, but it's great to be able to finally get ideas out of my head.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by BinFrog
    I agree. Something like this is a great way to start....and it's portable which means you aren't always tied to your computer. I have a Zoom MRS-802 which is a slightly more expensive digital multi-track recorder, but the idea is the same. I use it a lot. In the past month and a half I have recorded a half dozen songs with multiple guitar parts. They are nothing fancy mind you, but it's great to be able to finally get ideas out of my head.

Actually, with the unit I recommended, you do need a computer... it's just a hardware interface that outputs to the computer. Then software that allows multi-track recording and sequencing. It would sound a lot better than a cheap stand-alone digital recorder, but still be cheap enough (at $200). And with USB outputs, it would easily hook up to almost any modern computer (including laptops).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.