Need an electro acoustic

ScotInAmsterdamScotInAmsterdam Posts: 1,004
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay... the band needs and electro-acoustic for under 500 euros/dollars what's your experiences guys?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DON'T get the Fender squier stratacoustic. I have it and liked it at first but the sound isn't too good.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    something takamine. if unplugged sound isn't a concern.
  • so the takamine's sound shite acoustic?
  • DON'T get the Fender squier stratacoustic. I have it and liked it at first but the sound isn't too good.

I googled it - it looks horrible....
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    so the takamine's sound shite acoustic?

they can, certainly. i ad one that i wasn't particularly impressed with acoustically but it was ok plugged in. i think it would be fine in a band situation.

taylor would be great but there's nothing of theirs worthwhile in that price range.

personally, i've only ever been truly happy with an lr baggs i-beam pickup in whatever guitar. two of my acoustics didn't have pickups and i added the baggs. in the third, i removed the factory system and put the baggs in.

so, if he's already got an acoustic, maybe just look into popping a good pickup into it.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    I picked up a Takemine Jasmine Acoustic/Electric w/ cutaway a few years back b/c I wanted a cheaper, but durable acous/elec and it fit the bill. It has a nice tone & I've never had any issues when I play it live. It was only about $150 US, which isn't bad at all. Plus, it's durable as hell. There's my 2 cents:)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I've sorta been shopping for the same sorta deal... acoustic-electric for gigs only, between $300 and $500. Ibanez, Alvarez, Takamine, and Fender all seem to have some decent choices. I was shopping here:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/acoustic-electric-guitars?N=100001+304277+10

There were also a couple Epiphones in there, and the Ovations aren't bad plugged in, if you can stand the shape of the damn things. Big thing is to read some user reviews about the ones you like.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Ill throw Washburn into the mix. I have the EA-18.... no complaints about it whatsoever.
  • Art and Lutherie Cedar CW.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Art and Lutherie Cedar CW.

I didn't know they were putting electronics in anything...

I may have to find one and give it a shot. Godin has decent enough electronics, and I'm already an A&L fan. I just need to find a dealer who would have one in stock.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • chopschops Posts: 19
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Cole-Clark-FL1A-Acoustic-Guitar-Made-in-Australia_W0QQitemZ350130530291QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item350130530291&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

This guitar sounds unbelievable. I believe the electronics on it rival ANY other guitar I have ever heard. Massive statement, I know. If you can get near one, try and play it. I would recommend it to anyone, even those set in thier Taylor/Martin ways. And it looks gorgeous.

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/downloads/03%20BEAT-%20the%20fat%20lady%202.pdf

If you want to hear what one of these can do, and have someone go on at great lengths about the electronics, watch this:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=hHWLA7pSUI8

The FL1 and 2 are used interchangeably because the only difference is the aesthetics of the wood, fretboard inlays etc.

If this sounds like an ad, i'm sorry. I'm just a happy owner trying to spread the love.