what makes a good band?

edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i know it sounds obvious., but isnt really....
lets say, they must have a piano player?
must have two guitars?
must play pearl jam?

for me, what makes a band good, is only on thing:

THE FEELING
Nothing Better than Leather, man!

''i dont wanna think, i wanna feel''
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Eddie Louis Severson

for me, what makes a band good, is only on thing:

THE FEELING

1. hopefully they all know how to play their chosen instrument.

2. someone can actually sing

3. they have some originality to theirselves.

4. or you can simply have a hook and everyone can all talk about how you suck while your out there making money and getting laid.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Can I offer a strong view on the matter if I don't sound too opinionated? Sorry if I do... I just get a bit passionate about music! :)
    Well, you know, you could have a band full of virtuoso technicians who are useless accompanists and never listen to the other people playing. The key to being a good band is subtle integration. It doesn't matter if you're a punk band banging away on an A chord at a hundred miles an hour with full energy, a hard bop combo reworking a Mingus tune or the Boston Ensemble playing Arvo Part: if you're listening to the other people playing with you you're going to to be great; it's going to work and the energy you're creating will be cohesive, focused and ultimately a lot more like music.
  • I agree with finsbury. I played in a band for 7 years and nobody had much training or schooling, but we just felt each other. I've played with various accomplished musicians from berkley and would prefer my band over them anyday.
    www.backseatlover.net
    check them out!! The'yre greeeat!
  • great point....
    i used to be in a band in that i was the only one who liked grunge, cus these people liked metal (iron maiden and that crap)
    and all they worried about was their solo and them rising as musicians, noit the band

great point....
    i used to be in a band in that i was the only one who liked grunge, cus these people liked metal (iron maiden and that crap)
    and all they worried about was their solo and them rising as musicians, noit the band

Hopefully the chemistry that brought you together will keep you together or you all can work it out in the best interest of the band. Talent is also important. and it gets recognized even if your not in the spotlight on every song.

Music from Iron Maiden nor their counterparts were "crap". If that were the case bands like Dinosinor Jr., Screaming Trees, the Deftones, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains should be classified as "crap".

Music is music and its interconnected no matter what label you assign it.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • well, nevermind that, im not in that band anymore, now i have a band i feel im more connected with---but we are two singers and none of us plays instruments---what do you think of that?

well, nevermind that, im not in that band anymore, now i have a band i feel im more connected with---but we are two singers and none of us plays instruments---what do you think of that?

Barber shop - Hey if works for you and it feels right, what difference does it make what anyone else thinks. Thus, you have made my point, music is music. Enjoy.
  • cecropiacecropia Posts: 12
    That's a band?

Well, as long as it soothes your soul.
    "You'll be able to hook up with plenty of folks who are looking for plenty of folks who are looking to hook up with plenty of folks who are."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'll go with the cliche:

It's all about the love.

Love for each other, love for the music, love for the audience (however good or bad), love for the experience. If it's not about what happens on stage or in the studio, then you're in the wrong business. Too many musicians, bands, whatever... they do it for the elbow-rubbing before the show and the fan-worship afterward. You should be able to play with the same heart, same feeling, no matter what the location, circumstances, or audience. So I'll say it again:

It's all about the love.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    It's all the drummer, all good bands have great drummers, plenty of bands have weak singers or guitarists, but they all have good drummers....except the White Stripes. If you can find 1 who isn't a flake, or that wants a drum solo in every fill he makes, you have to hold on to them, no matter what.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    i love being in a band. but it is the worst thing at the same time. so much headbutting, and the lines get crossed and blurry as to what is hurting the friendship, or is htis just band shit? get it? ive got a bitter taste in my mouth, because of egos right now. and hypocrisy. hopefully it all works out inthe end, because its the most rewarding and fun thing i have ever done. i love it. it is about the love, that what makes it worthwhile, good or not...

what makes a band good? hell i dont know, there are no preconcieved notions as to what makes a band good... in my eyes.
  • thanks, everyone.
    i got another question, though...
    in your bands , how do you feel when your band doesnt want to play pearl jam?

• i tried starting a band maybe 6 months ago, with friends. we've had a few practices, but it kinda fell apart because of the whole ego thing. basically, all our other guitarist wants to do is play tool songs. and he won't "settle" for anything but that. i'm obsessed w/ pearl jam, and another band member is obsessed with radiohead, but neither of us try to shove our favorite band down everyone else's throats. in downtime at practice, we'd just be messing around and jamming, trying to play off of eachother and just come up with stuff. but our other guitarist would sit there and play the riff from tool's "prison sex" constantly. talk about annoying. i really want to be in a band that can get around eachother's creative difference and not have ego problems.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    For me, a great band must have:

1. A drummer that is capable of driving the music, not just one that plays fills. There are a million good guitarists out there, but only a handful of good drummers. This is one area I'd like to see PJ improve in. Cameron is a great drummer, they need to let him play a larger role in their songs (like Chamberlain in the Pumpkins).
    2. Mature lyrics that convey emotion to the listener.
    3. Songs that do not repeat the chorus 10 times at the end of the song. Common downfall of many new rock groups.
    4. Some element of creativity. Every great band has some something unique or built off their strengths. To be popular this isn't a requirement though, just look at Creed.
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Posts: 662
    it takes more than musical talent to be great
    The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway, is that its you, and that you're standing in the doorway.

I write down good reasons to freeze to death in my spiral ring notebook. But in the long tresses of your hair--I am a babbling brook.
  • Talent
    Ethics
    Passion
    Integrity
    Respect for band members and other bands
    I want to show you something, like joy inside my head. Seems I've been living in the Temple of the Dog, where would I live if I were a man of golden words?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by HYLA
    For me, a great band must have:

3. Songs that do not repeat the chorus 10 times at the end of the song. Common downfall of many new rock groups.

*cough* Nirvana *cough*
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by given to jam
    i tried starting a band maybe 6 months ago, with friends. we've had a few practices, but it kinda fell apart because of the whole ego thing. basically, all our other guitarist wants to do is play tool songs. and he won't "settle" for anything but that. i'm obsessed w/ pearl jam, and another band member is obsessed with radiohead, but neither of us try to shove our favorite band down everyone else's throats. in downtime at practice, we'd just be messing around and jamming, trying to play off of eachother and just come up with stuff. but our other guitarist would sit there and play the riff from tool's "prison sex" constantly. talk about annoying. i really want to be in a band that can get around eachother's creative difference and not have ego problems.

man, happened the same to me, but it was worse! my band was obsessed with iron maiden and stratovarius and they expected me to sing those fake voices and listen to their shitty sound....man i lasted the time i took to find another band, now im in a band but we're just startin we still need a drummer

• when my band mates didn' t want to play PJ songs i realized that they are not mature enough to play with me and i left the band...:))))
    It' s not about PJ covers but it's about the nature of songs zou make-you don't need to play like Mike but still you can be recognized as someone who is strongly influenced by him...
    I am a drummer and i think that good band definitly must have stellar drummer because his driving energy is essential.
    It needn't be the energy of Matt cameron style-Dennis Chambers has his own energy but it must be there...
    me: www.myspace.com/mariomarcinek

my band: www.myspace.com/mofokillerain

official site: www.stonerock.sk
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    one word CHEMISTRY... Its all about chemistry......Well that and stage presence.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    I reckon they have to have:

1. A unique sound

2. Able to play instruments damn well (i.e better than the Vines which is why they are supposed to be shit live.... a good mate saw them and said Craig cant play guitar......)

3. A drummer, a bassist, 1 or 2 guitarists and a good singer. The singer is allowed to play a bit of guitar but the singer CANT play bass! Sorry this is just my weird little rule. I HATE bands with a bass playing singer. Yes, i hate Kiss and I hate the police barr like 1 song)

4. A LOT of passion and a reason. The singer really needs to write his own lyrics, or needs to be able to. Not NEEDS, but its better....

5. GUITAR SOLOS
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • eddie vedder
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Not just guitar solos. A good band has solos of all the instruments. And why couldn't the bass player sing? As long as he remains on time..