A band's creative process

edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I own a band, and my questions can be answered by anyone in a band....
im just very curious of the methods used by different bands, for example, how do you do it when you write a song and you show it to the rest of the band, do you get asked what it means? In my case, i always end up explainin to my band what it is about... but do you think eddie does the same to the rest of the band? Or the same when for example jeff writes the words?

The bottomline of this thread is to discuss band's creative process in general, but starting from that question.
Nothing Better than Leather, man!

''i dont wanna think, i wanna feel''
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I own a band,

That's an interesting way to put it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • That's an interesting way to put it.

ROTFLMAO

yeah i was just re-readin my post and i noticed it.... thank god the rest of my band doesnt like poj as much as to come on to this forum...

i wont edit it, its funny that way, lol...

• ROTFLMAO

yeah i was just re-readin my post and i noticed it.... thank god the rest of my band doesnt like poj as much as to come on to this forum...

i wont edit it, its funny that way, lol...

ELS, I'd like to introduce you to a good friend of mine. Dr. Freud, this is ELS.
  • lol

id carry on laughin but i dont want the thread to miss the point, lol

• parchyparchy Posts: 205
    ELS, I'd like to introduce you to a good friend of mine. Dr. Freud, this is ELS.

If one of my bandmembers told me he owned our band, he would never hear the end of it...

But to answer your original question, in my band our music mainly comes out of jams and our singer comes up with the lyrics on his own... it works a lot like the "new" Pearl Jam does... we may have a few songs that one of us wrote all by ourselves, but mostly, it's a collective thing...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • The only legit band I was in, I wrote about 30% of the songs (was guitar and back-up vox) and the lead singer wrote about 60%, with the drummer writing some lyrics and the bass player had a little jam-groove that we played. Sometimes we would bring in half-baked ideas and jam them out, which could really help the process, but ultimately, the person who started it would hash it out and finish it. Then we'd all kinda work it out as a band (bass player would come up with something, drums were a constant process, and we would duel around on guitars).

I was in one other band, but we played 50% covers, and then I wrote about 30% of the originals while the lead singer wrote the other 70%. I was the bass player for the covers and her originals, and played guitar and sang my originals. Covers are usually pretty easy, unless you REALLY re-work them... but on the originals, it was pretty much the same as my other band, just bring in the bare song and let the band hammer away at it.

I've occasionally asked what a song was about, and had some questions about what my songs were about, but generally I've known my bandmates and they've known me enough that we got the general idea.
  • In a band i am in, our singer writes all the music and lyrics....he brings several song and we start working on them.he says the chords,plays a bit of it and we say whether we like it or not then we try to play to it and find the groove and also the song structure....in end we make slight changes as some fills on drums and so on....

this is band i am in: i play the drums....check this site....

http://www.siliconesoul.szm.sk/letnapauza
    me: www.myspace.com/mariomarcinek

my band: www.myspace.com/mofokillerain

official site: www.stonerock.sk