Options

Newbie Guitar Player -- Need Help

moleculemolecule Posts: 611
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I own a Mexican made Fender that hasn't seen the light of day for some time now. PJ's music has inspired me to take it out again and learn. I need some answers first.

1. Do you know any good books to start with?
2. Should I learn to tune with my ears or get an electronic tuner?
3. I still have the original strings on there. Do they need to be replaced?
4. I want to get the guitar leveled, so the strings are closer to the deck. Is that the correct terminolgy? Can a shop do it for me? How much?
5. Can you reccomend a solid strap and stand to buy?

Thanks!
🤙
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by molecule
    I own a Mexican made Fender that hasn't seen the light of day for some time now. PJ's music has inspired me to take it out again and learn. I need some answers first.

4. I want to get the guitar leveled, so the strings are closer to the deck. Is that the correct terminolgy? Can a shop do it for me? How much?

Thanks!

1. No
    2. Both, as for ears, just getting them in tune with one another is fine. That's the trick with the 5th (and 4rth on the G-string) trick.
    3. You should swap according to how much you play. My guess is once every 3 months, but mine easily stay on over 6 months...
    4. Go to a shop for sure. They'll help you, don't know about the price... maybe 10 bucks?
    5. No.
  • Options
    Originally posted by molecule

Thanks!

1. No books, but there are plenty of good guitar websites (http://www.giventowail.com and http://www.harmony-central.com)
    2. I'd get a tuner. They're cheap and will save you time and be more accurate unless you got good ears.
    3. If they haven't been played much they should be okay. I like fresh strings, but that's just a matter of preference.
    4. Most guitar shops will set-up your guitar (I'm guessing $20-$25). They will adjust the action, make sure the neck is straight, put on new strings, etc.).
    5. All personal preference
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    1. just buy a chord chart

2. Both learn with an electronic tuner.

3. yes. new strings will be nicer to your fingers.

4. It costs about 30 bucks including new strings. It's called a set-up Have them set it up to 8/32 and set it up for 10's or regular gague strings. Henceforth when you purchase strings ask for 10's You can adjust string gauge later as you progress 10's are a good starting point.

5. Pick your own strap. Most are fine.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    moleculemolecule Posts: 611
    Thanks to those who replied. This really helps a lot.
    🤙
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    1. You might want to start with like four or five lessons, just to help you with the basics... learn the basic chords, open chords, different chord shapes. And tab... once you have mastered tablature, you can teach yourself with the resources over the internet. A chord chart would be an excellent purchase.
    2. You should get an electronic tuner so you can get there quickly. You can learn to tune the guitar to itself, but after three days where you just tune the guitar to itself, you'll be a half-step flat or sharp. Learn to do it by ear over time, but have the electronic tuner to train your ears as you learn.
    3. I would put new strings on before you get started (if it's been sitting awhile) but if you get a setup on your guitar, they'll do that for you. Like Paco said, get 10's. That means the high string is a .010 guage. I prefer GHS Boomer strings.
    4. That's a setup. If it's really bad, it can cost more. I pay about $40 here, but the guys I take mine to are Fender Gold-level Techs, they don't have a monkeyboy in the basement with an allen wrench, they do it all themselves. So it costs me a bit more... if you have a guitar that has been hiding for years in a cave, and you want it in 100% top condition, they'll do it. I've had them completely recondition a Strat I had, cost me about $125, and it was the best money I ever spent at the time.
    5. I really like A-frame stands like this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031210142657150131025144291526/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/450332/

Straps are a person-to-person preference. Some people prefer nylon straps, some prefer lightweight leather, some prefer heavy-duty leather. I use lightweight leather straps, unpadded, 2 inches wide. But if you don't have straplocks yet, I highly recommend them! Especially if and when you start gigging... you only have to see a strap come loose and break a headstock once... Anyways, I use both the stock Fender straplocks and the Jim Dunlop button-locks. Both are great.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options

Good books? Try http://www.mxtabs.net
    Tune with a tuner, then you will be able to get the hang of it.
    Get new strings. Try out some 9 gauge boomers
    It's called "getting a setup" if you want your guitar professionally set up. Go to a local guitar store, and be nice, don't ask about the price until they have started, hopefully they do it in front of you. this place by me does it free if you purchase strings.
    A strap is a strap, i made mine out of an old pair of jeans.
    Stands...get a wall mount, the guitar will last longer.
    My mind is not for rent,
    To any god or government.