Some questions for seasoned Home Recorders

BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just got a BR 864 boss 8 track, and as of now for vocals Im using a MXL (marshall) 990, and its fine for lower level vocals, but if i dare get intense in my delivery, distortion is inevitable. I am thinking of getting the TCM (Nady) 1050. Its a long body condenser that looks impressive, and I can get it at a good price. any suggestions? Im also wondering if anyone else uses Sonar 2 to edit their music? I am a novice when it comes to Sonar so any tips would be useful. Thanks! :D
"Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wow...and here am I with my little Fostex X-15....

:)

Sounds like great fun, BogoEN!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, any mic set for quiet vocals will tend to distort when you start to push it hard. My suggestion is to learn how to work the mic... get closer when singing quieter, and move back when you sing louder. It can take a while to figure that method out, but it's a really good technique to learn. I'd suggest being about 1" away at the quietest, and up to 6" or 8" away when you really belt out. Another suggestion is to get a compressor that you can insert in the signal chain, it will keep from overloading. If you sing punk or metal, you definitely need something like a hard compressor or even a limiter for a vocal track. I can't say whether a different mic will fix your problem, but I'd start with this solution, it's a lot cheaper than a new mic.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Well, any mic set for quiet vocals will tend to distort when you start to push it hard. My suggestion is to learn how to work the mic... get closer when singing quieter, and move back when you sing louder. It can take a while to figure that method out, but it's a really good technique to learn. I'd suggest being about 1" away at the quietest, and up to 6" or 8" away when you really belt out. Another suggestion is to get a compressor that you can insert in the signal chain, it will keep from overloading. If you sing punk or metal, you definitely need something like a hard compressor or even a limiter for a vocal track. I can't say whether a different mic will fix your problem, but I'd start with this solution, it's a lot cheaper than a new mic.

Hey thanks for the good tips!
    "Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Heck, all I've used to record on my computer is the mic that came with the computer and Acoustica Audio Mixer...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.