Movin up on the Guitar?

BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok this goes out to the more accomplished musicians...
So I have been playing guitar now for five years and am completely self taught, but never applied myself totally to it. I really think it comes down to laziness and not having someone around to push me to work harder at it. Anyway, I have now realized just how badly I have wanted to master it, yet do so and still remain self taught. I want to know how I should attack this goal, more specifically is there a theory book in particular I should be using. Currently I have decided to start practicing and learning every different way to voice all chords with my chord dictionary. I am very serious and was curious if someone had tips beyond practice practice practice?
"Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    BogoEN wrote:
    Ok this goes out to the more accomplished musicians...
    So I have been playing guitar now for five years and am completely self taught, but never applied myself totally to it. I really think it comes down to laziness and not having someone around to push me to work harder at it. Anyway, I have now realized just how badly I have wanted to master it, yet do so and still remain self taught. I want to know how I should attack this goal, more specifically is there a theory book in particular I should be using. Currently I have decided to start practicing and learning every different way to voice all chords with my chord dictionary. I am very serious and was curious if someone had tips beyond practice practice practice?

get an instructor dude ..half hour a week will do wonders even

best thing for theory is to take a class or 2...head down to your comm college or something...you can learn in 3 months what you wont understand in a book for 2 years.

but a good all around book is called "the guitar handbook"
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679742751/002-6120689-3807253

but learn theory...it helps a great deal in knowing chords and scales and such
    No one is Righteous.......
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    DieasGrey wrote:
    get an instructor dude ..half hour a week will do wonders even

best thing for theory is to take a class or 2...head down to your comm college or something...you can learn in 3 months what you wont understand in a book for 2 years.

but a good all around book is called "the guitar handbook"
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679742751/002-6120689-3807253

but learn theory...it helps a great deal in knowing chords and scales and such

Yeah I have an instructor, half an hour each week. It really motivates me to get my lazy butt out of my computer chair and learn to play something. Not too much either, $15 per lesson I think.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I concur. I've been playing for over 10 years but just started taking formal lessons towards the end of last year. It has done wonders for my playing.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    i had lessons for 2 years when i first started and it really gave me the push to carry on.That was 18 years ago.Ive always tried to play whatever songs im into at the time and if im struggling i just do it till i get it.Man when i was 12 i was trying to learn Yngwie Malmsteen songs!Just play along to as many records as u can.
    Cornell pwns u
  • BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
    MetalGod75 wrote:
    i had lessons for 2 years when i first started and it really gave me the push to carry on.That was 18 years ago.Ive always tried to play whatever songs im into at the time and if im struggling i just do it till i get it.Man when i was 12 i was trying to learn Yngwie Malmsteen songs!Just play along to as many records as u can.
    Hahaha, wow I have to hand it to you, Malmsteen is not something for most beginners. My big inspiration was Kim Thayil, I was convinced he was the next Jimi for the 90's back then. Now I just am interested in finding my own style, be it influenced by rock, jazz, folk or even classical guitar. I enjoy all of it.
    "Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...