Does Anyone use GarageBand for REAL recording?

BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi,
I recently bought a new computer, a MacBook which I love. I record music digitally and was using my old ComCrap with Sonar 2 XL which I learned to love, I do miss it. But the processor never did it justice anyway.

Anyway, now that i have a great computer, I want to see what it can do with something like Sonar, but Cakewalk doesn't support Mac, esp Intel based. It doesn't really make sense to get Bootcamp and buy a copy of Windows XP to run, its not cost effective and I have a limited HD. And I can't afford to buy any new editing software, I am a poor student.

SO to get to the point, I was shunning the idea of using GarageBand for my work because its so..."consumer-y". I finally discovered effects and whatnot and was pleased that it wasn't as bare bones as I thought, but am still not sure whether i want to use it. Does anybody have any experience using GB 3 for actual audio work or can justify using it? If i had 1000 dollars, logic seems cool, but i don't. Anyway, thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
"Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've heard pretty good demos produced on garageband. but that was just one guy working on his own.

i think that with a good interface and mic that it would be fine.

not professional grade by any stretch but i think it would work.
  • David Pajo (formerly of Slint and Tortoise) recorded his most recent solo album on his laptop using nothing but Garageband.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • I do, and it's more powerful than people think. It's a little lacking on the mixing controls, but there is some quality to it. I use it even without an interface or even a real mic, and the recording turn out alright.

I'm going to try to record some music this afternoon actually.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Trent Reznor released his latest record from Garage Band.
    I use it all the time. The trick with this program is to learn it front to back.
    It is really a great tool and offers much more then what you see at first glance.
    A good mic and you are in biz.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
    JofZ wrote:
    Trent Reznor released his latest record from Garage Band.
    I use it all the time. The trick with this program is to learn it front to back.
    It is really a great tool and offers much more then what you see at first glance.
    A good mic and you are in biz.

The new NIN was released on GB??? Wow that's cool. thanks
    "Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    reznor works in protools.

he simply released a couple of the singles in garageband format for fans to remix.
  • BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
    exhausted wrote:
    reznor works in protools.

he simply released a couple of the singles in garageband format for fans to remix.

Oh I see. Well that's cool though. I'm thinking I will use it for demo type stuff until I can afford Logic Express. ...Anyone use Logic Express? (lol)