Sustainer pedal?

darthvedder81darthvedder81 Posts: 688
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking for something to boost my overdrives (I use a TS9 reissue, a Danelectro Daddy-O, and a Marshall Guv'nor—Fender American custom Strat through a slightly overdriven Blues Jr.)

I know about "Compressor/Sustainers", but that's not the kind of sustain I'm talking about. Compressors give a heavily artificial 80's/NeuMetal sound (which I don't think I've ever heard on any PJ songs). I'm looking for a pedal similar to a wah—a variable control device to make my guitar sing. Does such a thing exist? I know on "Single Video Theory" Stone mentions a "sustainer pedal", does anyone know what he uses?

Clicking a Crybaby on gives you that "boosted" effect, but of course it also gives you crazy screeching tone. I want something that retains my overdrive sound, just makes it last longer and boosts it without affecting the tone too much...

Any help you can give is appriciated.
So this life is sacrifice...
6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Less compressed sustain could probably be attained using some form of clean boost.

There are many available probably to many to list.

look around at http://www.musictoyz.com and http://www.pedalgeek.com Listen to a few clips, then if you get a chance see if you can't find a few at stores.

You don't want to go with any kind of distortion or fuzz because they are going to compress your sound further.

I was going to suggest the Keeley Fuzz head but I think that's barking up the wrong tree.

Check out clean boosters first.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Great! Thanks for your help.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • It sounds like the ideal thing for you would be a clean boost with a footpedal control. I don't know of anything like that out there, but there are a lot of clean boosts, and you could get a footpedal (like a wah pedal, but controlling volume) that would replace the "boost" control. I can't remember where it was, someone else might, but there is a footpedal control that can be wired into any pedal in place of a pentiometer, effectivly giving you what you want. If I described what you want.

BTW, a compressor is actually a fairly subtle effect that cuts down the peak signals and regulates dynamics, allowing you to bring overall levels up. And a lot of us here use them, for various reasons. Stone was using at least one, if not two, compressors on the last tour in place of overdrives.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It sounds like the ideal thing for you would be a clean boost with a footpedal control. I don't know of anything like that out there, but there are a lot of clean boosts, and you could get a footpedal (like a wah pedal, but controlling volume) that would replace the "boost" control. I can't remember where it was, someone else might, but there is a footpedal control that can be wired into any pedal in place of a pentiometer, effectivly giving you what you want. If I described what you want.

BTW, a compressor is actually a fairly subtle effect that cuts down the peak signals and regulates dynamics, allowing you to bring overall levels up. And a lot of us here use them, for various reasons. Stone was using at least one, if not two, compressors on the last tour in place of overdrives.

Could go with a clean boost or say a tone press (barbers take on compression is far more subtle than others more clean boostish to read the reviews) and a TIP Third Hand for the treadle.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.