Songs from "Ten"/"Versus" are freaking hard to play

darthvedder81darthvedder81 Posts: 688
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
With just a handful of exceptions...especially "Ten" with all the weird tunings. I don't know what it is but I can never play anything quite right other than the intro to "Once" hahahahaha.
So this life is sacrifice...
6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    With just a handful of exceptions...especially "Ten" with all the weird tunings. I don't know what it is but I can never play anything quite right other than the intro to "Once" hahahahaha.

I've always thought the same... barring RVM and Elderly Woman on V's... the first two albums are as hard as fuck (for me at least)

i just skip straight onto Vitalogy & No Code... :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • i find ten a fun album to play, just remember, use your thumb!!!!! i find the hardest album being binaural, anyone agree?

h

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    I feel these are the "easier" ones on Binaural.. easier as in I can mangle them a bit :p

Breakerfall
    Gods' Dice
    Evacuation
    Thin Air
    Insignificance
    Grievance

These are my no touchy until good enough section:- :mad:

Nothing As it Seems
    Light Years
    Of The Girl
    Rival
    Sleight Of Hand
    Soon Forget
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Seriously: I can handle pretty much any song - except for Mike leads of course, those are way out of my league - except the ones where Stone is responsible for the rythm. The guy has this crazy groove in his hands and I just can't grasp it. Best examples: Go, Even flow and Animal.
    Smile.... that song freakin grooves...
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Smile.... that song freakin grooves...

Ooh yes! Thanks for pointing that one out. I kinda lost track of it. That is a sweet song to play indeed.
  • I agree that those two are the hardest, which would seem kinda odd. I quess growing as a musician doesn't have to mean things get harder. I've found through learning songs that often the best stuff is the simplest.
  • pearlwax wrote:
    Ooh yes! Thanks for pointing that one out. I kinda lost track of it. That is a sweet song to play indeed.

"In My Tree" is fun to play, too. Pretty easy to pick up.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • pearlwax wrote:
    Seriously: I can handle pretty much any song - except for Mike leads of course, those are way out of my league - except the ones where Stone is responsible for the rythm. The guy has this crazy groove in his hands and I just can't grasp it. Best examples: Go, Even flow and Animal.

I find stone's stuff mainly ok. Even flow and Go not so bad, but Animal can be a bastard to play right. I always mess the rhythm up in my head and then play one bar extra on the end of each verse.
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • personally i think that Alt-tuning stuff for ten is a load of crap.

there's no point in it really... it works just as well or better standard and i'm pretty sure Stone plays standard live anyway.

sure is fun though :)

I can play Binaural all the way through perfectly (i throw sad in there too :) )

i love it :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    alive is not so hard

you should at least know the chorus - E, G, D, A

you can also break Black and Indifference into simple chords

Porch is not that many chords

and the easiest is "elderly woman who happens to be seated behind the counter of some establishment that is located in a rather small town that shall remain nameless"
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Ive had the Ten tab book for years and im still too scared to open it most of the time.
    If you can play the opening riff to Black then you can pretty much sail through the whole song. Alive rythm-wise is pretty easy, the solo not so. Release is the easiest on Ten.
    I can play more songs on Vs than Ten. Glorified G (without the solo), Dissident, RVM. I really wanna learn Go cause its fast and just sounds great but its so damn hard i always mess it up about 23 seconds in, lol.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I feel these are the "easier" ones on Binaural.. easier as in I can mangle them a bit :p

Breakerfall
    Gods' Dice
    Evacuation
    Thin Air
    Insignificance
    Grievance

These are my no touchy until good enough section:- :mad:

Nothing As it Seems
    Light Years
    Of The Girl
    Rival
    Sleight Of Hand
    Soon Forget
    completely agree with your "easy" and "hard" ones from Binaural. Of the Girl is strange because it is dropped tuning, and Rival is tough because of the strumming on off-beats. But I find that Ten isnt too bad. I can play Black, Evenflow, Alive, Release, and Porch with ease. The rest are a little tricky. VS is defintely the hardest PJ album to play IMO (discounting Elderly Woman, RVM, and Daughter)

all4
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    I find SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE easy to play,myself.
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • I still am trying to get that "Black" strumming pattern down.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    I find all of their songs quite easy to be honest. Fun songs to play from ten/vs' era (mike's part):

Solat
    Even Flow
    Go (wah-ridden solo rocks)
    Why Go
    Deep

All fun :)
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Corey112Corey112 Posts: 4
    chris01 wrote:
    Ive had the Ten tab book for years and im still too scared to open it most of the time.
    If you can play the opening riff to Black then you can pretty much sail through the whole song. Alive rythm-wise is pretty easy, the solo not so.

Actually if you just use the minor pentatonic scale at the 12th fret you got 100% of the solo in 2 or 3 boxes right there.
  • It's really fun to play Matt's songs... those odd time signatures ... weeeeee! :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    i love playing the ten era tracks, esp alive and black. alive solo is hard tho even if you do know your minor pentatonic.

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I always had issues figuring out the Ten/Vs era stuff, until I tried figuring out the live versions. With all the extra production stuff stripped away, you can hear how straight forward some of the songs are. Try it!

The biggest issue with some of the Ten stuff, some songs don't have a consistent guitar part. Look at Jeremy, each guitar kind of bounces in and out throught the song. Makes it tought to play, unless you are in a band with others to fill in the other parts.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • Actually if im playing a solo for example Alive which is a really long solo, I don't even bother playing it exactally like Mike, I just improvise, If your playing the solo in the right key and right notes, it doesn't matter what you do, and it will sound very good still, thats how I do it anyways.
    "Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
    "Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"