Soukous guitar-style

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone here indulge in a bit of Soukous-ish playing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Haha,,,, Yup! Great fun!
    There are some kick ass Soukous guitarists out there, too. I toured with a Nigerian band for a short stint like 20 years ago. Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey, which is really more Juju music, but we toured with a guy named Diblo Dibala, I think that's the spelling, anyways. He played the soukous rhumba style. He's from the Congo and man, he was so fluid on the guitar. He taught me a lot of great licks, and we used to jam out of the bus. Haha,,,, thanks for mentioning that, because that brought back some great memories!
    Fun music to play on stage, too, because the crowd was always full of wild African dancers, stage was full of dancers and African drummers, and Yellowman me with long blond hair stuck out like anything.
    You really have to have some rhythm to play that stuff. I had it then, but I sort of lost a step or two over the years.
    Pick between the thumb and first finger and the little reverb rhythm-like part with the other fingers. He taught me how to make it sound like a slap-back delay without a delay pedal. :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart