Circuit bending

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Apart from being dangerous as fook, it sounds like a dalek humping a toaster on top of a 1980s Space Invaders machine. Does anybody here actually engage in this mad folly, or is it exclusively the pursuit of hipster buffoons?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've done it with pedals. but not the cool stuff like speak and spells and all that.

i had a boss DS-1 that i built an infinite feedback loop into that kind of turned it into a spinning radio dial kind of squealing effect. even recorded with it.

i think it's interesting though the carnage of burnt out electronics is sort of sad.

not dangerous though. it's all low voltage.
  • Well, it could catch fire and melt and burn your hand off. The "Aaaaaaaah" sound you get out of that might be quite musical, I suppose. :D
  • Does anybody here actually engage in this mad folly, or is it exclusively the pursuit of hipster buffoons?

:D

My neighbor is into it. Ok, I guess I sat with him and circuit bended,,, or is that circuit bent,, a couple of garage sale things. It was kind of fun, and maybe all the sounds aren't my thing, but there is a certain satisfaction in standing with an old Speak and Spell, plugged in to a 160 watt Boogie amp whilst standing next to my neighbor who's 6'8" tall playing his little pink Barbie guitar through his Sovtek 100 and 4X4 cabinet.

It really DOES get the neighbors talking and they don't seem to mind when we play guitars loud after hearing that mess.

Like Exhausted said, it's all 9 volt so it's not dangerous. Which is why I plugged it into my variac and cranked the voltage up. I mean, if you're gonna be playing with little pink plastic toys, you might as well add a little element of danger! ;)
    Ok, maybe I ain't a hipster, but I sure am a buffoon! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart