Many DADGAD players here?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
This isn't a thread about different tunings in general, because there have been many of those. This is strictly a thread about DADGAD chords, sequences, scales, ideas, and other tips.

Okay, let's start: who uses DADGAD tuning as part of a live setlist? Would we be talking covers, originals, or both?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I just learned a song in DADGAD (Too Good For Me - Back Door Slam) and I quite like the tuning. DEFINITLEY gonna experiment more with it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I don't know that one. Any capo involvement?

(I've been playing in DADGAD for 17 years, but so many people I know approach the tuning so differently, outside of the main chord shapes and scales. It's amazing how a tuning you think might be limited harmonically to a few chords opens up, with time.)
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    For covers, I use the Oceans/NAIS tuning, I have some drop D , the Daughter tuning but for originals, I love the capo.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I don't know that one. Any capo involvement?

(I've been playing in DADGAD for 17 years, but so many people I know approach the tuning so differently, outside of the main chord shapes and scales. It's amazing how a tuning you think might be limited harmonically to a few chords opens up, with time.)
    It's a capo on 2

I actually had the singer/guitarist for the band teach it to me!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Honestly, I don't really like the DADGAD open tuning - it's sooo overused and extremely common - I guess I just find it boring.
    I don't like very many of the open tunings - I find it kind of cheesy to strum all of the strings and already have an open chord.
    Though I did write a tune a few years back in DADFAD (D-Minor), but I did it mostly because it's more of an uncommon tuning,
    and there aren't many common chord shapes like what's used in DADGAD (you actually have to work out your fingerings).
    I guess my thoughts are, if you're gonna use an open tuning at least be different - but that's just my thoughts.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • i love it! we play a few regulars in our set that we wrote in dadgad. The pain the arse thing is that we've so often broken strings tuning up and down we have to take 2nd guitars just for the dadgad songs
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    DADGAD is probably my favourite altered tuning though I haven't experimented as much as I'd like. I also love to use it with a capo.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    DADGAD is probably my favourite altered tuning though I haven't experimented as much as I'd like. I also love to use it with a capo.

Top man.
  • Pierre Bensusan, on DADGAD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PpMg2IypX8

Instructive, for passionate musicians.
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    I can play Given to Fly and Kashmir in it, but I don't know the scale positions in DADGAD.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Murderers wrote:
    I can play Given to Fly and Kashmir in it, but I don't know the scale positions in DADGAD.
    Kashmir is one of my favorite songs to play in DADGAD. I love the riffs.
  • http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/16493/comments

Very interesting discussion here, about DADGAD and its potential. The remarks about Page and the "abuse" of DADGAD are interesting, whether you agree with them or not. (There will always be a lot of anti-Zep British folk guitarists, anyway.)
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    What the fuck is this world?