Question from an electronics simpleton

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've an old pedal and the live socket is the output. In other words, the LED goes on when the output lead is plugged in from the pedal to the DI, etc.

Would that make a difference to polarity if I wanted to do away with batteries and buy a 9v adaptor?

I don't possess a volt meter, and there's not much spec on this old pedal. No manuals. It's my old delay again.

Sorry for being a buffoon.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I've an old pedal and the live socket is the output. In other words, the LED goes on when the output lead is plugged in from the pedal to the DI, etc.

Would that make a difference to polarity if I wanted to do away with batteries and buy a 9v adaptor?

I don't possess a volt meter, and there's not much spec on this old pedal. No manuals. It's my old delay again.

Sorry for being a buffoon.

Nah dude, you're totally cool. I think I understand what you're saying. If you use an adapter, you're gonna still get the light coming on. The pedal is on in this case. I've probably missed the question and stated something you already know. Anyway, I don't think it would make a difference but then again, I'm just a guitarist and not anything close to an electrician so I'll wait for someone better at this to explain,haha, sorry
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Just plug one of these in where the 9v battery goes click: Battery Clip Converter.
    I'd suggest getting a click: 1-Spot Power Adapter or something similar because they self regulate .
    This way you can plug the pedal in without modding it (I do it all the time with my vintage pedals).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • What I mean is, if my pedal's live jack (the jack that wakes up the LED) is the output, does that mean that there's something different with the polarity from pedals where the live jack is the input? Just wanting to know, if I get an adaptor for this thing (it's second hand, without an adaptor). Am I making much sense? If not, I apologise. I just don't want to plug in an adaptor and have everything go kabooooom.

You'd think I'd know these things. But that's over-reliance on batteries for pedals, and no knowledge of electricity, for you.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Just plug one of these in where the 9v battery goes click: Battery Clip Converter.
    I'd suggest getting a click: 1-Spot Power Adapter or something similar because they self regulate .
    This way you can plug the pedal in without modding it (I do it all the time with my vintage pedals).

- Ian

Cheers. That's what I was thinking. There must be some kind of adaptor/adapter or widget that "knows" or regulates what the old pedal's doing.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I agree with Ian. I use four 1-spots for my board.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Here's how voltage works:

You can either have a direct current (DC) signal or an alternating current (AC). The difference is shown here (click).

The sine wave is the AC voltage because it alternates from positive to negative over time. The dotted line is a constant voltage (DC). Your pedal takes a 9V battery, which theoretically delivers a constant 9V to your pedal no matter what. Any adapter you attach to the pedal (whether boss double-barrel tip or a battery clip as Ian suggested) should emulate this 9V DC signal. It may not be perfect, but either of these adapters will safely give you the required voltage for your pedal, more than likely the battery clip if you have an older pedal. Hope that answers your question.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1