Loose connection on guitar pedal output jack: a solder job?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay. I've a pedal with metal rings in the input and output jack sockets. The output jack connection is loose. I've tried all manner of leads, recently, to test. I can jiggle it into position at home, but onstage, it's a bastard, because, as you know, sound engineers just lurrrrrve it when you pull output jacks out suddenly, in and out.

Does this sound like a job for someone with a soldering iron? I can't see any obvious weakening of the wires when I look inside, but you never know. I am clueless about such things but I have a neighbour I could ask, if you think that's the cause of my problem.

Cheers.

PS I'd rather not buy a replacement pedal until I really have to. I'm mean like that.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sounds like a broken solder or a loose screw but you won't know for sure until you open it up.
  • I've opened it up, all looks attached, but I'll take it around to someone who can test the connections and resolder, I think. I've had this old digital delay pedal nearly twenty years, and it's the dog's bollocks when it's running.
  • Twenty years? Could be any number of things if it's that old. Hope you get it figured out and fixed.
  • The problem only happens when I plug in, and I have to rattle it about the hole, as it were, to get that connection. Once it's in position, it's fine. It's just that when you're onstage, even if you've had a soundcheck, you still have to faff about with these things come performance, and I'd rather a clean connection straight away.

I'll show you the pedal:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Yamaha/DDS-20M/10/1

Hard to beat.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it could be that the jack is simply loose and needs to be tightened, but yeah the leads might need a new soldiering job, it's really not that major of a repair and takes all of 10 minutes. You can probably find a few soldering tips websites and do it yourself. Also your jack (tips of leads as well) may need cleaning I use Deoxit progold for electrical cleaning but there may be something else out there too I'm just a little ignorant of it. It's pretty much contact cleaner and lubricant.

Also Neutrik has this new silent plug that breaks the circuit when you pull it out of the jack to avoid stage noise that's pretty nice, Planet Waves also has one but thiers has a button I believe.

I know you can get the Neutrik from Lava Cable and Pete Cornish but Pete is a little more proud of his though in Europe they might be a bit cheaper.

check out http://www.lavacable.com for fun anyway.

http://www.deoxit.com/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Cheers, Paco! I just got back from the guitar shop. They had a good look at it, and said the circuit board is fine, the wires are good. I just need a new jack socket. They recommended (a) trying to find a replacement, which may be very difficult, or (b) get an electrician to make a new mono output.