Why would an effects pedal work with some DI boxes and not others?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Most venues I play, my vintage Yahama DDS-20M digital delay sampler works perfectly, patched to a DI box and through to the mixing desk. There's one venue, however, where the pedal and the DI box seem completely incompatible and the signal ranges from full to intermittent on the soundboard, but with no sound coming out. It couldn't be my pedal's circuitry, or something like that, could it, if it works fine, otherwise? (I'm not clued up on electrics, to be honest.) I'm sorry I don't know the names of the DI boxes this particular venue uses, but it's got me scratching my head.

Anyone had a similar experience, or know how to get around it?

My usual set-up is 12-string acoustic with a Shadow pickup, into the pedal, patched to the DI and out to the soundboard.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Here's a really quick fix - just buy a cheap DI box that works fairly well with your gear (just test 'em out).
    Then keep it with your gear - this way you'll always have one that works, and can switch out if theirs doesn't.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • i've played a few acoustic shows where there was a horrible noise coming through the PA, Figured out if i unplug the power supply running my tuner pedal the noise goes away.

I think Ians on the ball, find a DI that works and carry it with you
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Here's a really quick fix - just buy a cheap DI box that works fairly well with your gear (just test 'em out).
    Then keep it with your gear - this way you'll always have one that works, and can switch out if theirs doesn't.

Yep, that seems the logical thing to do.
  • I got to the bottom of this, last night. After playing a gig last night in one venue, I stopped off at the venue with the DI problem, and was invited to go into the gig room (there was nothing on there last night), up on stage, and try out the DI boxes. The problem was that they mainly use this box:

http://www.kentmusictechnology.co.uk/images/D120%20a.jpg

And it doesn't work with my delay. They had plenty of old DI boxes too, and they all worked. So next time I play there, I'll use one of those.

I still went and bought a DI box as a contingency, anyway. ;)

Cheers again, everyone.